The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nurburgring
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:17 pm 
I want to go there :D And then around there :D

I have european insurance and break down cover... and a car. All sounds easy to me :P

If you have a fully legal UK car, tax, insurance, mot etc then as long as you have the right cover for insurance do you need anything more to drive in Europe?

Is 7 days enough time to drive from South Wales to the tunnel/ferry then across to the Nurburgring stopping off in interesting places on the way? Oh and getting back again...

I'm planning to go around April time next year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:47 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Many people do it in (a mental) weekend. But yes, the 'ring is essentially a derestricted one way toll road, so any road legal vehicle is allowed. Apparently this can include coaches. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:56 pm 
That question was more aimed at driving through europe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:15 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Quote:
That question was more aimed at driving through europe
Depends on your route. Some countries have a few things you need to carry with you. Most of these make pretty good sense, like a high visibility jacket and a warning triangle, but other countries do require a spare set of glasses if you need them to drive. You'll also need to put bits of tape on your headlights to adjust the dip for the other side of the road (or swap them if you can find cheapo ones) There are lots of websites about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:43 pm 
I think its just France, Belgium and Germany for us...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:21 am 
No problem. I personally covered nearly 70.000 miles across Europe with my old TR3 (and this old thing has even no seat belts and missing much other modern things available in a Dolomite). As long as the Triumph is in good working order, you carry some generic BTN spare parts (BTN = better than nothing = things like cable straps, wire, fuses, some tools, condensor, distributor, etc.) and have a European wide insurance in the back hand nothing can stop you from going whereever you want.

Personally I will start an 2000 miles trip next Saturday going from my home near Munich to the Belgian coastline, traveling there around north France, Belgium and west Netherlands and will attend the Oldtimer Grand Prix weekend at the Nuerburgring on my way back at the end of a two week vacation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:43 pm 
We did it a few weeks ago, basically took us a day to travel each way, stopping off in Belgium on the way. As mentioned you are supposed to have headlamp beam-benders, a GB sticker, warning triangle, hi-vis jacket and a first aid kit in each car. Some spares are probably handy too, especially oil, brake pads etc! Make sure you've al got good tyres with plenty of tread too, you'll kill them on the ring...

Very few if any policies will cover you while you are on the ring, and if you stuff it you'll have to pay for anything you break, and for any track closures you cause. Oh, and there really are coaches driving round it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:18 pm 
How much you reckon it would all cost? Fuel, tunnel, stopping off at various places, the ring, a taxi round the ring :D etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:15 pm 
The taxi is very expensive IIRC, and you have to book well in advance. The ferry to Dunkerque is cheapest, and is a lot cheaper the earlier you book it. Obviously depends on how many laps you do, where you stay etc, but we managed it for about £200 each, for the week (ferry, fuel, renting a holiday house, food & a few laps with 2-3 people in each car).

Plan to do other stuff too, cos the ring is only open in the evenings during the week...

Post subject: the ring...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:40 pm 
TDC Member

If you get a late entry to Club triumph's 10Cr then you can go about the 10th Sept.

My brother and a few mates did it in his toledo sprint last year, and he went again a few weeks ago - in my stag. There and back no problems, except his mates Starion blew a driveshaft on the ring.. £140 to be towed off, and 2 weeks to get the car back!
I will try and find out what it cost him. tehn left friday morning and returned monday afternoon. I will find out where he went.. I think they camped in the middle of the track!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:38 pm 
got an under tray from a starion turbo behind my garage been there for some years ......... if it's still there :lol: