The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:10 pm 
Hi Folks,

I was wondering for those who have cars they use on track, rally, hill climbs etc have any pictures of their interiors and possibly details. Looking for inspiration.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:04 am 
TDC Member

Depends how competitive people get.Losing weight is king in any form of motorsport.

I have been to events where people take out seats, door cards , carpet and anything else (this wasn't a dolly, but would apply)
So don't expect F1 type interiors, it is usually more gaffa tape inspired.

Seats are important, and again light is good, but may not be comfy for long journeys as padding can be thin or non-existent.

For rallying, you will see map rading lights and a Brantz (or similar) tripmeter,, places to keep maps/clipboards andspeed tables (for most types, stage rallying I have no experience, but Targas are similar, and keeping everything to hand is important)

In general, not a huge amount of effort goes into looks, far more into convenience and weight saving.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:43 pm 
TDC Member

I'll try dig out a picture but I do the odd HRCR event, sabelt saloon 4point harness seatbelt fitted from the rear seat belt eyes and a trip screwed onto a spare glove box lid. All removable so during one rally time, car is normal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:39 pm 
Quote:
I'll try dig out a picture but I do the odd HRCR event, sabelt saloon 4point harness seatbelt fitted from the rear seat belt eyes and a trip screwed onto a spare glove box lid. All removable so during one rally time, car is normal.

That would be great thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:40 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Not really an interior but a dash inspired on the works dolomites and 2500's.

Jeroen.

Attachments:
dash.jpg
dash.jpg [ 62.18 KiB | Viewed 5595 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:44 pm 
Quote:
Depends how competitive people get.Losing weight is king in any form of motorsport.

I have been to events where people take out seats, door cards , carpet and anything else (this wasn't a dolly, but would apply)
So don't expect F1 type interiors, it is usually more gaffa tape inspired.

Seats are important, and again light is good, but may not be comfy for long journeys as padding can be thin or non-existent.

For rallying, you will see map rading lights and a Brantz (or similar) tripmeter,, places to keep maps/clipboards andspeed tables (for most types, stage rallying I have no experience, but Targas are similar, and keeping everything to hand is important)

In general, not a huge amount of effort goes into looks, far more into convenience and weight saving.
Very true I guess weight and practicality are key for any form of motorsport.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:46 pm 
Quote:
Not really an interior but a dash inspired on the works dolomites and 2500's.

Jeroen.

That looks awesome Jeroen. Do you need a pilots licence for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:26 am 
TDC Member

This is my now dedicated circuit race car, although still road legal. Interior has to be retained and with only limited modification allowed as this is a series rules requirement.

If you are going to use the car for serious racing, then safety is the main priority followed by information you need. For example, rev counter, shift light, oil and water (I have temp and pressure for both). I also have large warning light for oil pressure, overdrive on, electric water pump controller, mixture (driven by an oxy sensor). The bike lever is a secondary throttle that I use as I can't heel and toe on the standard pedal layout! Geoff

Attachments:
interior2.JPG
interior2.JPG [ 114.18 KiB | Viewed 5588 times ]
interior3.JPG
interior3.JPG [ 110.25 KiB | Viewed 5588 times ]
inetior4.JPG
inetior4.JPG [ 112.63 KiB | Viewed 5588 times ]
interior1.JPG
interior1.JPG [ 126.15 KiB | Viewed 5588 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:32 am 
Thanks Geoff that is AWESOME!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:36 pm 
Just seen this, sorry, but just in case it's interesting...

Dolly-Nut owns the Toledo Sprint stage rally car that I originally built about - erm - 16 years ago. He or a previous owner (I cant remember now) posted a couple of pics of the car which I cheekily saved as I didn't have any digital pics of the car other than one or two external pics of it being driven "properly".

So this isn't my pic to share, but what the heck it was in a public place so fair game. I fitted the Dolomite fascia unit (obviously the Toledo originally had the flat fascia) and made the necessary brackets at the bottom of the windscreen for it to attach to. There really isn't a lot more interior trim, the navigator just has a seat and a foot-brace. The clock and glove-box are replaced by the extinguisher and cut-out controls, and - erm - that's just about it.

Ref equipment for the navigator by the way; having spent most of my adult life navigating on road rallies and co-driving on stages, I've very rarely used a trip meter - in fact, only on regularity sections on historic rallies. Never used one on a 'normal' road rally or on a stage (while it'd be handy on a stage, the amount of wheelspin on most stages means that it's pretty inaccurate). on road rallies you need a potti (illuminated map magnifier) and a map light (goose-neck thing), plus a box or two for clipboards and a pencil clip :-)

I second what others have said about simplicity and weight saving. Once you have taken out all the carpets, you need to get tasty with a hammer and chisel and get all the mastic off the steel of the floor, back seat base etc. It's a rotten job, but it's worth another 20kg or thereabouts. Start with the basic principle that you take everything out, then only put back what you know you will need :-)

Attachments:
File comment: JJB in action - (c) M&H Photography
IP Toledo 1A.jpg
IP Toledo 1A.jpg [ 194.05 KiB | Viewed 5094 times ]
File comment: "''' and junction turn 90 left..."
(c) M&H Photography

trolley-msq5.jpg
trolley-msq5.jpg [ 128.86 KiB | Viewed 5094 times ]
File comment: inside JJB
httppicoolionetimages2014120920141209_1817591mdjpg.jpg
httppicoolionetimages2014120920141209_1817591mdjpg.jpg [ 17.15 KiB | Viewed 5094 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:38 pm 

One of the disadvantages of the chromium-plated, 3-spoke Dolomite steering wheel that I have in my non-racing, four-door Toledo, is the glare arising from reflected sunlight, which I seek to remedy before I put my car back on the road. I would have thought this was an even greater hazard in a high-speed motorsport car!?!
Quote:
This is my now dedicated circuit race car, although still road legal. The bike lever is a secondary throttle that I use as I can't heel and toe on the standard pedal layout! Geoff
I have never managed to apply the heel and toe technique, which on a 1968~79 VW Type 2 would probably be impossible anyway, owing to the difference in heights of the accelerator and brake pedals. I personally favour left-foot braking.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=308177758

Upgraded 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (Toledo / Dolomite HL / Sprint hybrid)

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club

Last edited by naskeet on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 am 
And here it is now

Image Image Image Image Image