The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Racing Tyres on Sprint
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:39 pm 
Hi

I am going to race a Dolomite Sprint at the Portimao Legends Race.

I have to use CR65 L section tyres I'm going to fit the http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/45 ... acing.html

Does anyone have any knowledge about what pressure suits a Dolomite Sprint?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:34 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

A slight aside but is this meeting part of the Algarve Classic Festival? I should be going to this so it would be nice to see a Sprint on the track there and hopefully get some good photos too. I think we have quite a few cars going in our race truck already but may have room if you needed help with transport.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:44 am 
TDC Member

The class I race in in NZ does not restrict me to 'classic' race tyres but I use Dunlop 03G race tyres, with stiff sidewalls and 28psi in the front and 25 in the rear with the inner side pressure 0.5psi lower (depending on circuit rotation) . I'd ask your supplier for a guide to at least start with. Presume you'll have some opportunity to test the car / tyres at another circuit local to you beforehand so you can sort tyre pressures out and scrub the tyres in?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:27 am 
Quote:
A slight aside but is this meeting part of the Algarve Classic Festival?
Yep. that's the one. I raced a TR2 there some years ago with the same mate who is sharing my Dolomite this year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWPRxT9 ... 1D5b0YNmyL

It's a great track

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:30 am 
Quote:
The class I race in in NZ does not restrict me to 'classic' race tyres but I use Dunlop 03G race tyres, with stiff sidewalls and 28psi in the front and 25 in the rear with the inner side pressure 0.5psi lower (depending on circuit rotation) . I'd ask your supplier for a guide to at least start with. Presume you'll have some opportunity to test the car / tyres at another circuit local to you beforehand so you can sort tyre pressures out and scrub the tyres in?
What i will be using will be very different. I'm on Dunlop L section crossply CR65 tyres. I have done some testing at 30 and they were lovely, but weather that can handle 2 hours is another question. They are so much more fun that radial. I ran these before http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/16 ... -tb15.html they were amazing. The lap times would have been much better, but the crossply tyres are so much more fun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:17 pm 
Run them at, LF 24, RF 25, LR 25, RR 26, they should all equalise to 30/32 when hit. See you there.