The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:46 pm 
TDC Member

Hello

I am after a little assistance please if possible. I am in the process of a head gasket repair and I am being helped considerably by Tony (Mig Welder) who knowledge and assistance is proving essential. He noticed that the 2 of bores had marks, one prominent and one less so. I have attached a couple of pics to illustrate.

With this in mind i am after some expertise in potentially identifying the cause, and if anything needs to be done at this stage. Engine ran fine with no noise etc prior to starting this work. When manually cranking the bors move up and down with no noise or apparent rogue matter in them so i am not sure how this has been caused. Tony thought that it might just be a fault in the original casing and so the marks have been there for years..

Any assistance, opinions, views would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments:
File comment: Bore Pic 1
20190316_161111.jpg
20190316_161111.jpg [ 346.42 KiB | Viewed 2022 times ]
File comment: Bore Pic 2
20190316_161118.jpg
20190316_161118.jpg [ 335.62 KiB | Viewed 2022 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:42 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Hi James, has the car been stood and not run for any length of time in past?
Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:02 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Those look like corrosion from water in the bores to me.

This was my Sprint engine that had been left on the garage floor for about a year and needed a new liner to repair it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:42 pm 

Corrosion due to not running a long while. Those cylinders can use a good honing also. When all is on the budget I would hone the cylinders and have some new rings. Not optimal but should be able to run for some years without any major issue's.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:45 pm 
TDC Member

Thank you gents

Car has been stood for some time, but kept in warm dry garage, engine in car and started reasonable regularly during my ownership. The problem that i encountered started in recent times and i diagnosed the head gasket, hence where i am at with young Tony's assistance.

So with my current objective of getting the car running well, so that i can continue with the other jobs that i need to do, is this something that is going to get worse if i have everything put back together, and will it effect the running at all? Once running the intent would be to start and run regularly (weekly) so i keep everything moving/turning over.

In respect of honing is this something that can be done with the engine in situ?

Thanks for all your views and help. it is truly very much appreciated.

James

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:02 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

To hone the bores you James, you would have to remove the pistons, which would mean engine removal. It might be worth just putting it back together and see how it goes?? But if you take the engine out? It would be better to do a rebore with new pistons. All personal choise really as it was running ok previously?

Tony.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:12 am 

Honing like have it honed in a machineshop and not with a flimsy diy on your batterydrill. That is never a success.

If you want to use it on a regular base I would certainly have it honed and fit new rings or when you want to spend a rebore with oversized pistons.

Leaving it would be a bad idea.

Jeroen