The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: quick rack
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:25 pm 
I am after a quick rack for the dolly.
Can you buy these anywhere.
If not am i right in thinking that you can swap the pinion with one out of a Herald or Spit to make your own.

Cheers Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:13 pm 
I'm also after one of these. Do tell us :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:55 pm 
As far I know the diferance is the number of teeth on the pinion.
Original it has 6, and the quick one has 7, aprox 17%.
Actualy if you have a good not worn out rack, only swap the pinion, and ofcours adjust the play with the shims.
I have good results with a slichtly stonger spring, or shim the spring with a thick washer.
Finding the corect shims to adjust is best done without the spring first.

The 7 th. pinion is a standard part for some Dolomite related model, I have heard Toledo, 1300 Fwd but can't tell for sure.
I cheked all my steering rack's and found 3 quick pinions, just enoufh for the 2 cars race cars and a spare rack.

Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:11 am 
I have a Toledo one in mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:30 am 
I now have an 1850, Sprint and 1300 dolly rack. which one will be hiding what I'm after? I'm so sure I've read Sprints have quicker ratio racks than the rest....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:21 pm 
Quote:
I now have an 1850, Sprint and 1300 dolly rack. which one will be hiding what I'm after? I'm so sure I've read Sprints have quicker ratio racks than the rest....
Just bought an exchange one from rimmers. 3.25 turns lock to lock compared to my sprint one which is 3.75 turns lock to lock (or thereabouts.

Mine had really excessive wear on one side (like 3mm play!) so I needed a new one anyway.

I'll probably get stung when I send in my standard one for the surcharge rebate!

What really hacks me off though is the recond quick rack has a total length that is at least 1 inch longer than my original. How can that be. Also they have painted the threads on the tie rod bars so I cannot get the locking nuts on. Pathetic

Ian

Last edited by iandollysprint on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:57 pm 
I phoned Jigsaw up last week £250 ish for a quick rack. Didn't realise that that rimmers did one although I'm not sure that i'd want one from there anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:37 am 
I contacted BKT but they are out of stock :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:52 am 
TDC Events Officer

Quote:
I phoned Jigsaw up last week £250 ish for a quick rack. Didn't realise that that rimmers did one although I'm not sure that i'd want one from there anyway.
I should have thought one from jigsaw uses at least some new bits, rather than just being a painted toledo rack...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:22 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
I should have thought one from jigsaw uses at least some new bits, rather than just being a painted toledo rack...
Fitted and tested my Rimmers one. Apart from having to lob off 1/2 inch from each tie rod as the overall length was 1 inch longer than my original I am very pleased with the new rack. Also changed to solid mounts, solid lower steering UJ and new track rod ends. Car was aligned as well.

Car is, as you would expect, very tight, very sensitive to steering input (which was a vast improvement on the worn out rack I changed) and does turn in which better. Overhaul a great improvement with excellent feedback through the wheel. Only downside would perhaps be the pot hole feedback direct to my hands but that goes with the solid mounts I suppose.

Post subject: Re: quick rack
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:21 pm 
I just got a reply from Rimmers and they claimed their Quick Rack is 2.6 turns l2l. Is this correct/possible?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:09 pm 
Also... Can someone explain to me how the pinion with the extra tooth 'magically' meshes with the rack? I can't figure this one out...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:20 am 
I believe all pre '74 Dollies had a 'quick rack'. I also understand that the only difference is the pinion & yes it does 'magically' mesh with the rack.

Regards.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:45 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I believe all pre '74 Dollies had a 'quick rack'. I also understand that the only difference is the pinion & yes it does 'magically' mesh with the rack.

Regards.
I concur.
The 1972 Dolomite (1850) specification (as listed in the brochure) confirms this and the parts catalogue lists a different number for the pinion.

Also, I am fairly sure early Sprints had the "quick rack" from new.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:54 am 
Does anyone know where I can get a 'quick pinion???'

$erious and ready to buy! Must ship to Australia...