The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: Group 2 Arches
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:47 pm 
I want a set of these for my 1300 :lol:

Alun, Wrestle them off Jod, go see your fibreglass man and make some money :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:40 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

I mention them every time I see him...

Horses to water Mate, horses to water!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:38 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
he used to do the tuning for the works dolly team

Really? From the horse's mouth:

Quote:
He joined the British Leyland factory at Abingdon in 1978, where he was a part of the TR8 works rally team. It
was here that Brian gained his in depth knowledge of the workings of British leyland cars and his passion for the
Triumph Dolomite.

In 1979 Brian established Brian ****** Triumphs and has been successfully trading for over 25 years. Along with his dedicated staff, Brian continues to provide top quality service and parts.

So was at Abingdon for anywhere between 2 and 23 months, after the Dolomite heyday which petered out in early '78...

Starting at a normal dealership in '74, how long was an apprenticeship in those days?
:oops: must be nice to be right all the time, i was just being helpful. :x

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:28 pm 

Oh, I'm not saying either is correct, it was more of a question really. That is cut and pasted from his website.

I was still in short trousers in 1978 and a long hot summer and Star Wars Episode iv was at the forefront of my mind, so I can't really comment on what was going on dolomite wise

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:20 pm 
Yet again my thread hi jacked, can we please stick to the thread topic.

Ken what is the latest.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:49 pm 

Er no, I consider the discussion remains predominantly about Grp 2 Arches.

I would imagine if Ken had anything to update you/us with, there would be little point in him keeping it to himself; it is afterall a commercial opportunity for him? Meanwhile, as evident in the immediately preceding posts two other avenues of potential supply have been mentioned. At my last meeting with Jod we were discussing how the design could be modified to make for a better fit following Darren's feedback...

However, as my contribution seems unwelcome I will leave you to it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:15 pm 
mine too ill withdraw leave you to it :barney:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:41 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. I'll get my arches out for the lads

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:43 pm 
i would like a set of these aswell what kind of price are we talking about for a full set of arches as i may have two sets

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:57 pm 
Be patient nutter 83 I have a man on the job, plus we are exploring grp bonnets and bootlids.
I will let u know as soon as stuff starts happening.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:18 pm 
cool look forward to hearing from you

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:41 pm 
Quote:
Be patient nutter 83 I have a man on the job, plus we are exploring grp bonnets and bootlids.
I will let u know as soon as stuff starts happening.
GRP no no it has to be CARBON FIBRE
How much £ let me know :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:41 pm 
Darren carbon fibre, kevlar and multi layer kevlar can be done but at a price, when the moulds are done and we are happy then we will do a comprehensive price list including all options and prices. We still may not explore any of this if it is too expensive, It is a select market and as you know there are very few that will pay the sort of money that it costs to produce. We are awaiting prices, I must confess I want some carbon fibre myself.

Rest assured I will update as and when.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:11 pm 
I was quoted for carbon doors bonnet and boot about 6 months ago from a company
That did alot of carbon race car panels
Lets see if i can find email
Hear it is
Hi Darren,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you. We would have to take fibreglass mouldings of your bonnet/boot then produce carbon items from them. On the usual bonnets we make we mould the inner framework so the bonnet/boot would be a direct replacement, but these would be more mouldings to do and extra time etc, would you want these inner mouldings done? We can do foam cored panels, so no inner skin as such but we would laminate the 3mm foam within the layers of carbon, the result is a very strong/light panel, but these would have to be held on with some kind of fixing.
We need exact measurements of everything to get a better idea on size but an estimate to mould the bonnet/boot from fibreglass would be £250-£350. Then to make a foam cored carbon fibre bonnet would be around £450-£500 the boot £350-£400, we do 3 door bonnet vents (attached) they are £140 the pair. But if there were other buyers we could give you money back for the price of the fibreglass moulds.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 am 

The guy who has laid up the front panels has rolls of CF material that he uses for his TVR customers...but no autoclave...

Very keen to do other competitively priced work; currently doing the rear screen vent and I may see what he can do by way of front wings before Triumph Show. He has mentioned the bolt on panels too but with metal tubular SIPS in the front doors between hinges and latch...

Last time I was at his shop he was laying up a tailgate for Lancia Integrale for a race customer

If you go your own way, make sure the prices quoted give you ownership of the moulds!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next