The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Starting problems
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:42 pm 
Hello there.
I'm a brand new owner of a 1500 FWD (1972), and I'm brand new to owning a classic car!
I have a persistent and irritating starting problem at the moment and wondered if anyone had any good ideas.
I had a new battery fitted and she was fine for a week, but now she refuses to start unless jump-started. The engine cranks and sounds like it turns over once, slowly, the dash lights dim, and then nothing. Headlights etc come on fine. If you jump start her then she goes every time straight away and runs fine.
My current suspicion is the starter motor (which has been given a judicious whack or two), rather than the battery (which is only a week and half old), though it's possible that the alternator isn't charging the battery properly (not really had her long enough, or been far enough, to work that one out). Not sure where the voltmeter ought to be sitting under normal conditions.
Any tips for where to start, similar problems encountered? Hope I'm not just being dense! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:51 pm 
TDC Member

The voltmeter should be reading around 14v when running. Any less than this and it would indicate a charging problem. If it worked for a while with a new battery and then stopped it sounds a bit like the alternator is giving you some trouble. Once you have a reading from the voltmeter it should tell you all you need to know.

Post subject: Dodgy alternator...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:57 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

...or, could be a drain somewhere if it stood for a week and then wouldn't start...

Dimming of lights is either low battery power or an horrendous draw such as by a knackered starter...

Need to get the voltage and see what the drop is when trying to start...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:59 pm 
Ah! I don't recall seeing my voltmeter ever go above 12 (and certainly today that was the case), so sounds like the alternator could be the culprit then. Any way of being 100% certain before sourcing the part, or is that certain enough!? I'd love to be free from the jumpstart pack...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:10 pm 
xvivalve, it stood only overnight after a reasonable run and wouldn't start the next evening, then while poking around the next again day she started occasionally by herself but otherwise resolutely refused without jumping. The battery is definitely not completely dead as the headlights come on and stay on without dimming.
Will keep a close eye on the voltmeter. My suspicion is the previous owner knew there was a problem and couldn't be bothered getting to the bottom of it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:34 pm 
TDC Member

If the Voltmeter isn't getting past 12v then the alternator isn't doing it's job properly. I'd reccommend sourcing a new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:07 pm 
it could be a bad battery to body earth or the battery to strarter motor cable. check the voltage with a digital meter. 14 volts at max load but anywhere around 13-14 volts will be enough to charge the battery if you dont have big stereo, amps spot light ect. do youhave a modern strereo fitted, if fitted wrong it could be draining the power when switched off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:22 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Where are you?

I have reconned alternators here on the shelf...

Post subject: there a clue on the avvy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:44 pm 
melj
Learner Driver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:29 am 
Battery terminals guarnteed! I've had this loads of times, mostly with the old round terminals that have a screw in the top. If how have them, cut them off. Check your engine earth too. The fact that the jump leads are contacting the outside, which possibly isn't that dirty because you can get at them, means it gets current the first time

Post subject: Its the...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:39 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

alternator....
Its also causing the discharge....which is taking down your new battery so quickly
Dont leave the battery discharged for long...

Jonners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:07 am 
various options, all valid, check the lot:

1st check standing voltage of battery
then make sure terminals are tight
then make sure earth strap has good continuity and low resistance and connections are tight
then check +ve power cables from battery/starter/alt as above and also check they're tight
then start her and check voltage at the batt about 1 minute after starting

get back to us with your findings, cause will be somewhere in the above, and could still be a duff battery.

:thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:04 pm 
Wow, thanks guys, really appreciate the suggestions!

We had looked at the battery to body earth and thought it looked a little frayed but solid.

Certainly seems to be draining my new battery. No radio etc fitted (though I must confess to being unsure about how the heated rear windscreen works and it has been niggling me. I think it's in the off position, screwed tight clockwise, doesn't appear to push or pull.... :oops: )

Will borrow myself a digital meter to check the voltage etc and will also follow the other suggestions. Watch this space!

Ta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:49 pm 

These are all good suggestions and I second them all. I had similar problems with Snowdrop. A faulty battery was initially diagnosed and a new battery fitted but the problem returned. I replaced the alternator and it cured the problem. I especially second Justyn's advice on the alternator that it should throw out 13-14 volts when the car is running. Anything below and the battery will discharge. Being the owner of 2 of these cars I'm a bit jealous that your's is on the road.

Good luck!

West Yorkshire Area Organiser
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - a project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint), NYE 751L (1972 Dolomite 1850 auto) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle