The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:57 pm 
TDC Member

Thinking out loud........
Has anyone used a standard Sprint twin tailpipe onto a sports exhaust middle section?
(I think Roy (Triple Tango) has done this?)

I currently have a single silencer system (T2000 mark one semisport from Chris Witor at the back) on my 1850.
The over axle and intermediate pipe arrangement is not great (Falcon parts), so I am pondering moving the silencer to the
middle of the car and perhaps using a Sprint tailpipe.
Is this a good idea?
Have you done this?

Any thoughts, please?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:10 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

I believe it fits straight on; there is a s/s exhaust on ebay at the moment which is the opposite, two standard silencers and a sports system rear pipe...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:39 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Ian,

It's no straight fit! I had it on my Sprint before the resto started and probably will fit the same system again but this time in conjuction with the enlarged s/s downpipe as well.

I used Rimmers sports centre silencer and intermediate pipe and coupled that to the standard over axle/double end pipes (all in stainless). The intermediate pipe had to be modified as the bend just before the axle doesn't have the same radius as the original system. So my friendly garage used heat and a long bar to mend the bend. Some ripples on the inside of the bend are the only visible markers that this part has been modified. Otherwise a very neat system as the original exhaust hangers can be re-used and the car keeps its original appearance at the back which I prefer over the single silencer/sports exit pipe normally seen.

One remark on exhaust note: this has been notably increased. At tick-over its a nice burble. On the move its louder than the sports system, but generally not that intrusive. It seems that the "soundcloud" stays behind the vehicle and doesn't resonate inside the car (as some hatchbacks or estates do sometimes), so at motorway speeds no problem at all.

The only downside is that at certain rpm there appeared an increase in dB as if the sound waves passed the single silencer completely! That was with my car at exactly 2750 rpm (no other engine modifications). This could turn very funny in f.e. tunnels where you could drop the g/box in O/D at say 3200 rpm to have the revs fall down to exactly 2750 rpm and scare some other road users :twisted: That sound can only be described as a Chesna plane doing a fly-by (really)! So before and after 2750 rpm the system was very acceptable.

Looking back, if I put this system back on my car, I might modify the centre silencer to reduce dB level a bit (I'm not a teenager anymore :wink: )

Hope this info helps!

www.triumphowners.com/tahitisprint

Post subject: Yes.....................
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:59 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks Ronald, that is indeed helpful.

I will be using a Chris Witor supplied T2000 semi sport silencer which is far superior to the Falcon silencers sold by
Rimmers. Persuading it to fit is not a problem, especially as I have oxyacetylene equipment 8) .

Just have to acquire a Sprint tailpipe now.......

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:45 pm 
yup, I have a standard Sprint tailpipe on a sport middle section, it fits a treat on the standard hangers, looks standard from behind too.