The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Gauges
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:33 pm 
TDC Member

Is the sender unit a 5/8 unf thread?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:12 pm 
Ooo! Oil pressure gauges!

Guess what I've just bought for a quid :)
And they shall go here :)
:D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:49 pm 
Where did you get that water temp gauge??? - I WANT ONE :rasp: :rasp: :rasp:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:06 pm 
noticed speedy cables do a kit. I've invested in a dual gauge. Rimmers do them, along with the adaptor etc. Would also like to add that their staff ahve been very helpful and flexible (Chris Toby and someone else who I cant remember his name!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:23 pm 
Quote:
noticed speedy cables do a kit. I've invested in a dual gauge. Rimmers do them, along with the adaptor etc. Would also like to add that their staff have been very helpful and flexible (Chris Toby and someone else who I cant remember his name!)

And in case anyone else can resist a bargain or just didn't see my for sale ad for my (unused, as it was a warranty replacement that never found its way into the car) dual (coolant degrees C, oil psi) gauge please note that I'll sell that to a club member for less than the cheapest price you could find anywhere else for the same thing. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:18 am 
Quote:
Where did you get that water temp gauge??? - I WANT ONE :rasp: :rasp: :rasp:
Amberley Classic Summer Picnic! £1 at their old garage! :D
And the oil pressure gauge was free from a mate; I mentioned that my spare engine had a T piece to fit an oil pressure gauge too; and he took that out of a box and gave it to me! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:55 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Quote:
noticed speedy cables do a kit. I've invested in a dual gauge. Rimmers do them, along with the adaptor etc. Would also like to add that their staff have been very helpful and flexible (Chris Toby and someone else who I cant remember his name!)

And in case anyone else can resist a bargain or just didn't see my for sale ad for my (unused, as it was a warranty replacement that never found its way into the car) dual (coolant degrees C, oil psi) gauge please note that I'll sell that to a club member for less than the cheapest price you could find anywhere else for the same thing. :D
Linky please John? Can't find it in Parts for sale...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:26 am 
I m

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:59 am 
Quote:
Ooo! Oil pressure gauges!
It's now "fitted", in the loosest sense of the word, and is proving that I do actually have oil pressure, as opposed to the previous "ARGH I DON'T HAVE ANY OIL PRESSURE!" due to the light being on at 1,200rpm...!
Ignition on, oil lamp comes on. Crank it and it flickers, and as the engine catches it goes out. Pressure gauge showing a steady 20-30psi. (Picture below to prove this :) ). Driving about it springs up to 50psi, above 2krpm it's 60, above 3.5krpm about 70. I believe it was, therefore, the pressure switch!
Image Image

Yey!

Aa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:46 pm 
So I was correct in suggesting that you should simply take out the bulb then? :P :lol:

70psi suggests to me that the oil pressure relief valve isn't blowing off soon enough, that's too much but hey, that should be easy enough to sort by fitting a slightly weaker spring.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:54 pm 

Again, thanks to JPB for this.
1/8NPT thread on a slant, for the oil switch t-piece.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:52 pm 
Yay! Good to see that where it belongs. :D (Somewhere :oops: , I have a spare satin black bezel for a 52mm Smiths gauge of that sort, I'll send that on at no further cost if you want to use - and if I ever find - that but I think it looks OK with the chromed one since there's some chrome around the dials on the type of instruments you have there).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:08 pm 

I quite like it looking different to the others, means people might notice it and have something other than the trivial pursuit gauge to talk about for once. :lol:
Plus the last time I took a gauge apart, it took me a month or so to put it back together. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:42 am 
Here's mine:
Good eh? :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:39 pm 
Lovely work! At least the passenger can keep an eye on it for you!