The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:51 pm 
Hi

No problem with the hijack! Firstly the foolish admission. I leant my timing light to someone about 2 years ago and could remember who (Foolish act no 1). I eventually found out and retrieved said item. I had timed the car up using some basic techniques and when I put the light on it, found it was firing somewhere near 30 degrees before! I'm amazed it ran. Needless to say, at 10 it is much a different car!

I've only done some basic checks on the chain and mine looks to be ok, but I did do some research and there is a racing timing chain tensioner which overcomes the issue: http://www.bighealey.co.uk/content/hydr ... ensioner-0

Weather this will ever solve the problem, I'm not sure. Part of the issue is the chain is so long to start with! Heaven knows what a stag one is like (and a not a duplex chain). Anyone got any contacts in the SOC to see what their solution is?

I think I do have a slightly rogue follower, but that will be sorted out in due course. I did order a new oil pump, even though I have no clue what the oil pressure is as, guess what, I leant my oil pressure gauge to someone! My thoughts were that for £50 its done, even though I would hope that it was changed when the engine was rebuilt. Who knows.

Back to the tensioner debate and the jackshaft, I think a thrust device would help. I know they should run in line, but the thrust set up on the jackshaft is hardly brilliant and the backlash of the gears, I do wonder if that contributes to the issue.

Thanks to everyone for their help and will let you know what I find.

Fitting vinyl roof this afternoon! Its odd, I gave up working in a bodyshop years ago for the' desirable Insurance Engineer' job and look what I do at weekends! My sheerline is looking very envious at the sprint for all the attention its getting!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:13 pm 
UPDATE - the oil pump is being returned to RImmers - Made by county car parts of India. Opened the box and the housing is full of porous pop hoes. Who knows what the rest of the pump is like!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:50 pm 
TDC Notts,Derby & Leics Area Organiser

I had a new county oil pump just the same. The replacement one was fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:21 am 
There are 2 types of tensioner. One is fitted with a spacer between the body and plunger, the chain tightened using the guides, then the the spacer is removed which allows the chain to push the plunger in and release the spring/ratchet (what were they thinking?). The other type has a small stud in the back of it that must be removed and an allen key inserted and turned to release the ratchet/spring. This type will not release by fitting the spacer and removing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:02 am 
Thanks Stag 76. I assume you have some knowledge of the stag v8. Do they supper with timing chain tensioner slip?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:42 am 
(i like the look of that chain tensioner :D )