The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:59 am 
Hi,

My main beams have stopped working. I noticed some smoke from my dash. :shock: Got the ignition off asap, had a look at the connectors round my flasher unit by the tacho to be slightly melted.

Could this cause my main beams to stop working?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:03 am 
Not sure about the flasher bit but can you still flash with all four lamps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:09 am 
Nope, plus when I go onto main beam I get the usual outside set switch off and then the main beams don't come on!

Can get a replacement flasher unit in Coventry for £2.50 today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:56 pm 
Little update, I can have my dipped on all fine but when I goto turning the main beam on all the lights turn off. So I am insure what it could be.

Oh and also when you have the dipped lights on and try to flash, the dipped stay on. :?

I got a new flasher unti found by the tacho, and have checked all the fuses I can find (only 4 in total).

So anyone with any ideas please! What sort of thing can burn out at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:50 pm 
the flasher unit is for the indicators!!

have you tried the contacts on the stalk.they have most likely burnt out or corroded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:11 pm 
Hmm that's an idea. I will have to take the surround off round the steering wheel to look round if I can see whether it has burnt out or not!

Don't matter too much right now as I don't have to drive at night time. But really would like to get it working. Can't be much more to check now. Bulbs seem fine and the wiring is all ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:41 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I think i read somewhere that someone else had this problem and it turned out to be the indicator stalk.There are little copper contacts that touch together when you pull the stalk towards you for full beam,you can see them when you take off the shroud..broken contacts?

Post subject: Have a look...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:46 am 

at the wirong diagram...
You will see that the lights arent fused....great isnt it...
Also you will see that the high beam has 2 feeds...one for flash only via the stalk and the other via the switch, which then goes to either main or dip via the colum switch.
The smoking dash flasher unit thing is prpbably to do with hazards, which IIRC also take the feed via the purple wire which does come from the fuse box. Its late and I cant remember..Have a look at a recent post where someone drew it out...

Jonners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:17 am 
Hmm, does the dipped lights go a different path when you have main beams on with them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:44 pm 
TDC Member

The problem is with the indicator stork. It is either dirty contacts or there is a copper link across the stalk for the main beam which can fracture. The latter may be the case if you can smell smoke as the break will be arcing. If you remove the pastic steering cowl the dip / main beam contact is easy to find and clean without remving the switch. You should then be able to track the copper link.

Andy