The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Can you help please.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:57 pm 
TDC Member

I have been advised by my local mechanic not to drive my dolomite after driving to and from Stoneleigh Park on the 8th February.
The car is loosing considerable amounts of coolant.
There are:
-New hoses
-Radiator has been repaired
-Expansion bottle is fine
-Water pump has been repaired

The garage/mechanic said the water pump has been removed badly. Instead of removing sleeve with the appropriate tool, it looks likely the sleeve has been drilled out then silicones put in. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the previous bad mechanics? Do you know anyone who could repair my car?

I am in the Barnet area.

Thanks
Barry

Post subject: Re: Can you help please.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:45 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Barry,

Which model of Dolomite do you have?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1850, first impression is that the water pump is leaking...

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:41 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Barry, there is a water pump guide HERE if it helps. Although I created the thread, I can't take credit because the guide was originally written by the late great Jon Tilson who was a prolific contributor on the forum and a wealth of information on Dolomites having owned them since they were everyday cars. Sadly, his wisdom, knowledge and experience was lost forever when he passed away just over 2 years ago (9th February 2018).

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:13 am 
TDC Member

Below the water pump, under the inlet manifold, there is a large slot in the casting. If the pump is leaking the coolant will come out of there. The water pump on the slant engine is, in my opinion, one of the worst designs I have ever seen. Whatever possessed a designer to think it was a good idea?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:11 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
The car is loosing considerable amounts of coolant.
The garage/mechanic said the water pump has been removed badly. Instead of removing sleeve with the appropriate tool, it looks likely the sleeve has been drilled out then silicones put in. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the previous bad mechanics? Do you know anyone who could repair my car?
On the assumption that we are talking about some form of slanty 4.... Is the coolant obviously leaking from the "slot" on the block? Or just vanishing?

How has your mechanic reached that conclusion? I'd assume by stripping the inlet manifold off and dismantling the water pump? (Not because they were the ones that did it? ;-) )

Cheers,
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:07 pm 
TDC Member

Water pump hosing.
What can do

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:42 pm 
TDC Member

When the water pump cage is fitted it looks like coolant is going to leak past those two slots that have been cut in the block. I would imagine that's where they drilled out the old cage and put the silicone in. I hate to be the voice of doom but the cage will never seal here and coolant will just leak past it and out of the slot. It looks like the block is toast I am afraid.

I have a spare bottom end here in Fleet if needed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:44 pm 
TDC Member

There's yer problem. Those grooves shouldn't be there.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:06 pm 

That can be repaired. You have to grind two exta horizontal slots 90 degrees in the existing slots making two + shapes. You can fill this with some liquid metal product and you are fine. The extra horizontal 90 degrees slots are for more surface to watertight it and for fixation of the repair product.

Jeroen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:09 pm 

Id try welding the grooves up, then grinding back to shape. It will take some time, but the alternative is a new block.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:14 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
When the water pump cage is fitted it looks like coolant is going to leak past those two slots that have been cut in the block. I would imagine that's where they drilled out the old cage and put the silicone in. I hate to be the voice of doom but the cage will never seal here and coolant will just leak past it and out of the slot. It looks like the block is toast I am afraid.

I have a spare bottom end here in Fleet if needed.
I dont know much about these pumps,but could he get a bung machined to fit the hole and then fit an electric pump ?

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:15 pm 
TDC Member

Another alternative would be to take the engine out and part dismantle it and get a machine shop to bore out the housing oversize, and shrink-fit a brass insert in. Then machine the inner diameter back to fit a new pump. The advantage being that future removal of the pump would be much easier than having a brass cage corroding against a cast block.
Then fit a new phosphor bronze bush in the block for the pump spindle and fit a new pump of the same flavour that came out. Shim it up with the gaskets and its all done.
Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:42 pm 

Or press in an easysleeve and machine the brass cage 0,20mm less in diametre.

Jeroen.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:34 am 

Quote:
That can be repaired. You have to grind two exta horizontal slots 90 degrees in the existing slots making two + shapes. You can fill this with some liquid metal product and you are fine. The extra horizontal 90 degrees slots are for more surface to watertight it and for fixation of the repair product.

Jeroen.
I am not sure this is a great idea, I would have no confidence about any sort of chemical metal adhering in that environment, in the long run.