The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:48 pm 
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post. I'm a long term Triumph man, predominantly TRs. However, I have always loved the Dolomite shape, and I decided to save an inca 1500 HL back in the summer. I joined the Dolomite club at the NEC a few weeks ago. The car is going to be a rolling restoration.

I just wanted to warn you all of faulty propshaft bearings going around at the moment. Mine had the usual rubber failure, so I removed the prop, fitted new UJs and a new bearing (part number 37H8019) from Rimmers. Once back together, the bearing was extremely noisy. Rimmers have sent out another to me today, and not only is this one noisy too, there's so much clearance on the bearing that it just sits loose on the propshaft. No press fit at all. Just drops straight on. I know people have said previously on here that the bearings from Robsport were better? So I called them today, and they confirmed theres are supplied to them from Rimmers, and that they were having bearings returned with similar problems. So now i'm stuck. The car has been off the road for two weeks already, and I wish i'd left the old bearing alone! Rimmers have said they will get their technical department to inspect another bearing before it is sent out, but I don't hold out much hope! If anyone was thinking of replacing their centre bearing, i'd wait a while if possible! :wary:

thanks,

Toby

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:59 pm 
The one shown, that I fitted last year, was from Robsport and fitted fine though I had to source a new washer as the one on the car, instead of having the flat for the doubled-up master spline, was designed to fit a shaft with a keyway so couldn't ever have been properly tight! :lol:
Another, bought from Paddock's and supplied to them by other than Rimmers', was - when fitted to a 1500 locally (same mount as the one found on Dolomites AFAIK) - exactly the same so there must simply have been a bad batch. Annoying when these things are over £37 to buy but as long as the suppliers are aware of this problem and are replacing with decent parts then all should still be well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:40 am 
TDC Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-DOLOM ... 3cbecdbd37

any good? reco-prop had a good reputation etc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:19 am 
Quote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-DOLOM ... 3cbecdbd37

any good? reco-prop had a good reputation etc
I did see the one listed from reco-prop on ebay. It's appeared on there in the last few days. I'll give Rimmers one more chance, and if no good give this one a try.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:39 am 
James Paddock are far cheaper. Just looked cv how much the Rimmers are asking & it's more. Lots more.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:24 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

dave mac props in coventry have had these remanufactured as they consider them to be the cat's ass, only the captive nuts are now metric!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:18 am 
Was about to post the same. Had one fitted a couple of months back. Had no problem. If you have any prop shaft problems it really Isn't worth doing it your self. Dave mac are really good propper old school. And not a ripoff either

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:37 pm 
Thanks for all the information everyone, very helpful.

I'm going to try and cancel the one coming from Rimmers first thing tomorrow for a refund. I can't see it lasting 5 minutes, even if it's ok at first.