The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:32 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Cant get to my car at the moment,but where do they brake is it the mirror end or where the mirror attaches to the body work

mines broke from the body work end,i see Paddocks sell a bracket for the Stag mirror are they the same for Dolomite

Dave
Most seem to have split the mounting where the stalk attaches to the body. But I did break the dip lever on a mirror once.

The Stag one has a stalk that is too short. I fit one to the headrail and mounted the mirror on it, but the mirror was too high up - if I set it to see out of the back window, I couldn't see very far; if I tried to see further back, the back edge of the roof was in the way. So it will work, but only if you sit lower down or further back than I find comfy.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)
B&Y 73 Dolomite Sprint UVB 274M (kids!)
1970 Maroon 13/60 Herald Convertable (wife's fun car).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:29 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Cant get to my car at the moment,but where do they brake is it the mirror end or where the mirror attaches to the body work

mines broke from the body work end,i see Paddocks sell a bracket for the Stag mirror are they the same for Dolomite

Dave
Most seem to have split the mounting where the stalk attaches to the body. But I did break the dip lever on a mirror once.

The Stag one has a stalk that is too short. I fit one to the headrail and mounted the mirror on it, but the mirror was too high up - if I set it to see out of the back window, I couldn't see very far; if I tried to see further back, the back edge of the roof was in the way. So it will work, but only if you sit lower down or further back than I find comfy.

Graham
Thanks, what i meant was will a dolomite mirror stalk fit in a Stag body mount

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:11 pm 

Quote:

Dave
I couldn't see how, even by grinding the bulb off the end of the Doly's stalk. I even looked into soldering/welding the zinc/aluminium alloy they're made of to make one of two, but it looks too much like hard work to me.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:41 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:

Dave
I couldn't see how, even by grinding the bulb off the end of the Doly's stalk. I even looked into soldering/welding the zinc/aluminium alloy they're made of to make one of two, but it looks too much like hard work to me.

Graham
Graham

ive now seen a photo of what the dolomite mirror mounts looks like and yes there completely different,

Dave

Post subject: Oh.....
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:41 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
The Stag one has a stalk that is too short.
Could you not have a mounting boss of a suitable depth to lower the mirror?

A cheaper alternative to a Stag mirror is https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/long-stal ... lack-225mm?

Ian.

Post subject: Re: Oh.....
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:42 am 

Quote:
Could you not have a mounting boss of a suitable depth to lower the mirror?

A cheaper alternative to a Stag mirror is https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/long-stal ... lack-225mm?

Ian.
The stag one's several inches shorter, and I don't think that much could be made up that way.

But the cheaper alternative looks to be only about one inch shorter than the Dolomite's, so, maybe, mounted on the old boss, it might be okay for all but the very tallest drivers. Certainly looks worth a try at that price if the Italian job doesn't come good, or till it does if it's only waiting on a return to something like normality.

Graham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:59 pm 
TDC Member

I just had to make the repair to my mirror mount. It was broken in two and had been repaired using hot glue (I think) by the previous owner. Took a while to get all the old glue off!
I did the Araldite and screws repair but first added a cable tie around the top of the mount. I got it good and tight and it was good enough to allow me to plug in the stalk afterwards. I added the screws and Araldite after that.
The mount needed a bit of fettling with my Dremel to stop the cable tie from popping off - just made the corners straight and parallel.

You can barely see the cable tie and it seems ok so far!

David