The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:45 pm 
Hi All

Some may remember my thread on the old board as the indicators had stopped working on my 1500. This seemed to be fixed with a new flasher relay but when the wipers and indicators needed to be used at once they protested!

My first thought was to check the earthing as I had previously made a half hearted attempt to improve the earth on the nearside strut turret so I did this job again but properly. Then the wipers fidgeted a bit but still didn't move without a bit of encouragement, then they repeatedly worked fine. Indicators also back to functioning correctly. However, the flashing slows when other circuits (like brake lights) are active.

Does this still point to earth problems? The only earth points I can immediately see are the strut turrets - should I add more or just improve these, or are there more? There is also a retrofitted (not by me!) hazard switch which I was advised to remove in my first thread, but seen as the flasher seemed to fix things I didn't bother - should I now remove it? Battery seems to be charging adequately enough to start the car every couple of weeks without external charging, so I presume the alternator is ok.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:53 pm 
TDC Member

Sounds like not enough electricity getting through that circuit to power everything. Maybe the hazard switch is shorting and the power is going back to earth. I'd reccommend taking out the hazard switch, it's the most likely culprit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:31 am 
I had this once. It was something to do with a bad earth if I remember correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:58 am 
there'll be a lack of voltage or high resistance somewhere...

Post subject: Bad earth
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:34 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Just saying that is all very well but is no help at all....so stop taking the mick out of this poor lad and lets try and be constructive.

Better earth points is all very well but the lighting circuits tend to earth direct to the body in some places. I find thet the earth connector on the front sidelights is a good place to improve things with a clean and a pinch to tighten things up. If you have trouble with brake lights and indicators at the same time then look at the rear light units and how they are earthed.
Its also a good idea to study the wiring diagram, which shows a lot of the joiniing conectors, if not where they are on the car. Fuse box is also a bad place for power distribution faults so a good clean of all conectors at both fuse ends and the fuse box spade connectors will help the wipers I suspect.

Jonners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:16 pm 
Thanks for the replies and Jon in particular for going into detail for me. Will let you know how I get on, hopefully should have a chance to look at the car this weekend. Cheers.

Post subject: flashing
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:24 pm 
Best thing I ever did was convert from old type flasher units to electronic ones for both indicators and hazards.
Consistant flashing and no stuck contacts.
:D

Its also a pretty easy conversion. As I recall it only needed additional earth wires for the little black boxes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:38 pm 
sorry to thread-jack but what flashers did you use mr speedy just for info, if you remember?

(wasnt taking the mick, just dont have much time to look/answer while im at wrk and coming from electrical upbringing, its easy to forget that not everyone has the benefit of experience with this stuff, and as usual mr jonners, you've probably nailed it for him, with a touch of style and finesse!)

my solution to this electrical fault would of course be:

strip the entire car, respray it, polish everything, re-wire it and put it back together over a period of 3 n a half yrs

:funny:

Post subject: flashers!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:28 pm 
As I recall Mr. Dollyboy, I just used a standard 3 terminal electronic flasher unit that just happened to fall off the shelf via an associate at LSUK.

The're made of plastic tho' so are dificult to polish.
Could paint them tho'.
:woohoo:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:20 pm 
i've spotted various tins of bling bling mirror finish paint in B&Q.

havent had any call to get some but i think the brake servo could be a suitable candidate for trial...

hmmmmm, chrrrroooome.

:spliff:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:35 am 
Have alook for "Fantachrome" on google. :shock:

David

Post subject: Flash Get
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:16 pm 
Ditch the 'std' mehanical flasher and fit the Club Electrobnic unit. Old OE std mechanical flahers units are mailnly past their best, new ones are cheeepo nasty made by Fareastshite Manufacturing and are worse than the old OE ones

go electronic and you'll falsh whatever whenever no matter what 'load' :thumbsup:

Post subject: SHINEY BITS
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:37 pm 

who's gonna be the the first to make there bits all shiney.
mart or dollyboy :lol:

http://www.fantachrome.com.au/1/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:27 pm 
TDC Member

Website too slow.

I've already got a few shiney bits that came with SFB. :D One being a chrome airbox. Not sure I will be putting that on though.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:41 am 
the rate im going marts car will be on the road before mine!