The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:53 am 
I have landed here cause I’m looking for a pic [or even old work mates] from the old Saunders Abbott garage 1 wickam road, which was just along the road from the Chinese garage.

it was definitely a bmc/bl dealer/triumph etc in 1966 as I was a mechanic there. Owned by Harry and Richard Epps, they also started a very small garage in Albamar rd which seems to be the registered address of Saunders Abbott. At the time it just a curved tunnel that went under a new office block,[they must have added some space], it was wide enough for a car and some tools [as I recall].

It was a surprise to me to learn from this forum that Bromly motor company [is the name right] was at 1 Wickam road in 1967, I must left just before.

Hope some one can help as there’s no mention of Saunders Abbott, at 1 wickam rd, out there I can find. I have called the current Saunders Abbott, they deny any knowledge of of a connection

Thanks mark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:20 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi Mark. It is a long time since you did the Saunders Abbot post and I hope you are still in this world.
By chance recently I contacted the Beckenham Historic society regards old pics of Saunders Abbott. I sent what I had and they may get published in the Autumn. Anyway jest of this is I googled my Uncles garage today and saw your post. I registered on this site so I could message you. I was there "61/'62 era and have pics of the then workers and the place. I have often wondered if the lads made it in life or are indeed still alive. If you are interested message me. Tim Epps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sadly Mark no longer uses this forum. He is an ex Forum member.

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:02 am 

I am always glad to hear about Standard Triumph car dealers. I write a blog about Triumph car dealers. http://vitessesteve.blogspot.com/?m=1

Current Cars - Valencia Blue 69 Vitesse Mk2 Saloon since 1991 and a Sprint engined TR7. Have had several Dolomites over the years.

blog http://vitessesteve.blogspot.com/ website http://www.vitessesteve.co.uk/

Isle of Wight, UK based - studied class car restoration at Leeds City College

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.weblin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:47 pm 

Quote:
Hi Mark. It is a long time since you did the Saunders Abbot post and I hope you are still in this world.
By chance recently I contacted the Beckenham Historic society regards old pics of Saunders Abbott. I sent what I had and they may get published in the Autumn. Anyway jest of this is I googled my Uncles garage today and saw your post. I registered on this site so I could message you. I was there "61/'62 era and have pics of the then workers and the place. I have often wondered if the lads made it in life or are indeed still alive. If you are interested message me. Tim Epps
Hi Tim, With reference to your post above, my Father worked at Saunders Abbott in Beckenham during the 60's as a mechanic.
His name was Frederick James Wadlow, known to all as 'Fred'. I have a photo of him standing on the forecourt next to an MG 'C'
that was presented to Robin Knox Johnson after his triumphant sail around the world single handed in his yacht. I have a second photo that I think is of 3 employees of the time, including my dad, but I am not 100% sure.
An incident that my Dad recalled briefly in one of his diaries (1968 I think) is of him being knocked down by a Jaguar car on the forecourt resulting in him sustaining a broken leg, Regards
John Wadlow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:47 am 

Quote:
hi Tim

well thanks for ur concern, old mechanics dont expire that easily though LOL. am still managing to repair cars, for friends though.
yes i only landed here again by accident...but was absolutely delighted to read ur post, and u registered to make a response to my seach...thanx so much. hope you are still about [here] and well

wish i could recall you, i was there for 3 years from about 1966. what department were you in?

Pls do get in touch
mark bogdanovic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:12 pm 

Have i just walked into the twilight Zone?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:46 pm 

I am always happy to see new Triumph car dealer related material. If you have some photos of the garage I would love t see them

Current Cars - Valencia Blue 69 Vitesse Mk2 Saloon since 1991 and a Sprint engined TR7. Have had several Dolomites over the years.

blog http://vitessesteve.blogspot.com/ website http://www.vitessesteve.co.uk/

Isle of Wight, UK based - studied class car restoration at Leeds City College

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.weblin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:47 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Tim, With reference to your post above, my Father worked at Saunders Abbott in Beckenham during the 60's as a mechanic.
His name was Frederick James Wadlow, known to all as 'Fred'. I have a photo of him standing on the forecourt next to an MG 'C'
that was presented to Robin Knox Johnson after his triumphant sail around the world single handed in his yacht. I have a second photo that I think is of 3 employees of the time, including my dad, but I am not 100% sure.
An incident that my Dad recalled briefly in one of his diaries (1968 I think) is of him being knocked down by a Jaguar car on the forecourt resulting in him sustaining a broken leg, Regards
John Wadlow
=============================
hi cant figure this forum out but would love to hear from John Wadlow re Fred [father] if you see this post. thanks mark bogdanovic