The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:10 pm 
Hello to everybody.

Great website. I am the proud owner of a 1980 blue sprint (Almost ready for it's mot) and a 1973 Triumph 1500FWD (was running and used for work until it failed the mot a few weeks ago).
The fact the 1500 failed the mot could be a blessing in disguise, it might spur me on the get my finger out and get the clutch freed on the Sprint.
Could anybody give me any pointers on freeing the clutch without having to take the gearbox off but if not what are the problems pitfalls if the gearbox needs to come off

Thanks

Garry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:16 pm 
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you've got a good pair of cars there :)

I freed one of mine by just putting it in gear and firing the starter constantly till it came off....

Or you could push or tow it with something till it breaks loose.

If you did need to take the box out, you might as well pull the whole engine and box as one unit, freshen up a few other things like the mounts and reassemble - makes it a lot easier to get the box on the engine with it out of the car and line up the splines :)

Just my 0.2c mind :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:29 pm 
Thanks for the welcome :) and advice

Will give both ideas a go this weekend and let you know what happens

Cheers

Garry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:45 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

i rocked mine back and forth in second and it freed, but I have done the drive it around and match the revs and had them free as well, that was on a lotus sunbeam, but I can't imagine Sprints are much different. The whole free it off approach is pretty brutal though, I favour dropping the box off, my sprint freed just as the box came off....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:49 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

1 Lift rear end

2 Start car

3 Apply brakes

4 Bang! Job done. :D

Post subject: ^
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:27 am 
Welcome Garry, I did the above on my Ex, deceased, no more Sprint.

Worked a treat.

At first it wouldn't go in gear.......... Go figure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:38 am 
welcome to the gang.

never had to do it myself on a dolly but hope you sort your clutch thing. worked on a mini I had, just the same as freeing brake pads or shoes when they're seized onto the disc or drum...

If I had the problem on a car I'd recently bought I'd go down the take engine n box out route, if the cars been stood for a while at least you can cure the problem, inspect condition of things etc so you know exactly where you stand, but the above is certainly a good quick fix, you're highly unlikely to damage anything if thats your concern.

:thumbsup:

Post subject: Common Problem
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:50 am 

Pop underneath and give the slave clutch rod a finger of grease where it mates with the clevis pin on the gearbox clutch actuating lever. Also a squirt of oil around the bearings of the clutch cross shaft in the gearbox casing (bell housing end) is a good idea. Mine had a stiff clutch peddle and that helped no end.
Then get the engine up to normal running temperature in neautral of course. Switch off....engage top gear, clutch down, foot on brake. Start car...listen to slight bang, engine starts. Car should now be driveable.

Works every time for me.

Jonners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:29 pm 
Thanks to everybody for your help. :D

Will try the quick fix first. I can't put up with driving my wifes Skoda much longer. :cry:
I'll let know how I get on

Cheers

Garry