The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:18 am 
TDC Commercial Officer

How I refurbished another M35J starter motor.
To look at a video about refurbishing a M35J starter motor enter “Morris minor starter motor reconstruction” in Google. There is also a very good description on refurbishing a Lucas M35J starter motor here: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 2063,d.d24

I had bought another M35J starter motor on eBay to have it as a spare and decided to refurbish it.
I tested it before I started by attaching it to a battery. The pinion spun but it did not move long the armature as it should to engage with the flywheel.
Unlike my first attempt at stripping a starter motor all went well. The pinion slipped off fairly easily and seemed to be in good condition with no chips so I reused it. When I removed the brush box end plate a lot of debris came out. This was rust from the springs in the brush box which were badly corroded and in very poor condition. These needed to be replaced. I found the springs on eBay for about £2.50 but was unsure about fitting them so I bought a new complete end plate from Wood Auto which had a new brush box, springs and bush fitted. This cost around £18 delivered. The delivery charge was almost as dear as the part itself which I find very annoying.
I bought new brushes for £4.35 on eBay including delivery. The old brushes were about half the size of the new ones so they obviously needed to be changed.
After everything was cleaned I soldered on the new brushes. My soldering has certainly improved.
The only problem that I encountered was that when I was putting the brushes into the brush box one of the springs popped out so I tried to manoeuvre it back into position before pushing the brush into position. Hopefully it will be OK.
I then reassembled the starter and tested it by attaching it to a battery. The pinion moved down the armature quickly and retracted so all looks good.
This refurbishment cost me £15 for the starter £4.35 for the brushes and £18 for the end plate, £37 in total. Well worth it and in my opinion if you do it yourself at least you know what has been done and to what standard.