The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fuel Pump kit 1500 HL
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:01 pm 
Can someone please tell me what is the correct fuel pump repair kit for a 1977 1500 HL?Would a Spitfire 506423 or an AEU2760A suit?Or even knowing the correct top gasket for under the cover would do.I dont want to remove the cover and not have have the correct gasket to fit.Also ,is there a wire mesh fuel filter under the pump cover,that could be cleaned? Thank a lot for previous great help.Joe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:23 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Hi Joe, try Paddocks, they sell a new fuel pump for £18-50p It would make job a bit easier. They might do repair kits as well.

Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:50 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

depends what pump you have as it may had been changed in the last 40 years, you can remove the top and get to the mesh filter without taking it off the car, the gasket under the 'lid' should be a rubber seal and I have taken these off and reused them without any issues.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:12 am 

And be carefull buying a new pump these day's. Most new pumps are Italian made repro's and have around 0,5-0,6 bar. The original has around 0,2 what is also about the max for an SU or Stromberg carb,

If you buy such a new pump measure the pressure and when too high you can fit a pressure regulator. Too much pressure does raise the floatlevel and causes a richer mixture or causes flooding.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:16 am 
TDC Member

I have had a 1500hl since new in 1977 and I do not think it is possible to repair the original type of fuel pump that was fitted as the metal is pressed in to keep it together. When it comes to fitting a replacement there are two type and one requires a spacer to be fitted between it and the engine block. I think this may also require longer studs or bolts to fit it.

As previously stated the original design of pump had a built in filter which could be cleaned by taking the top off and I have done this a number of times without having any problems with getting the original seal to seal.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:39 pm 
TDC Member

If the fuel pump pressure on the 1850 or Sprint is too high it can be adjusted down by fitting extra paper gaskets between the casting and the block, according to the manual. Not sure if its the same on the 1500 ??
Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:18 pm 
Thanks to all for your advice and you time.I will probably at first just take off the top cover,clean the mesh filter and replace using the existing rubber seal.If this existing seal does not work,I will look at replacing the fuel pump.Once again many thanks.Joe.