The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:27 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hello all!

Hope you're keeping well, it's been a while. I've just changed my brake pads after an estimated 20,000 miles, which surprised me. I think theres a chance they might be binding a little bit as the pedal was getting stiff towards the end of their life. What's the best fault diagnostic for this please?

Also, the (su) carbs have been running really rich (beyond adjustment). I replaced the air filters and everything is still the same, so now I plan to replace the jets. I've got the replacements, is it just a case of unscrewing the adjustment nut and swapping them over? Thanks!

-

Lastly, a friend of mine showed me a newspaper clipping of him a few weeks back, and I spotted this old Triumph advert:

1975 TRIUMPH DOLOMITE 1850 in Honeysuckle (Nina) 2015-2020

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the Triumph." - Thomas Paine

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:28 pm 
TDC Member

How interesting. Have you read my thread titled "Tuning SU carbs on an 1850"? My carbs are much too rich even with the jets screwed right up until they don't go any further. I've replaced the needles to no effect, and currently have float valves on order. I've been putting off buying new jets because the waxstat type on my 1977 HL are quite expensive. I will be most interested to hear if new jets cures yours.

To remove the jets you have to remove the choke linkage, unscrew the fitting at the bottom of the float chamber (remembering that petrol will come out), unscrew the adjusting nut and spring, and then unscrew the upper nut which holds the jet and its bearing in place.

When you reassemble you need to check that the jet is centred. Fit the jet with the bearing sleeve and the upper nut but don't fully tighten it. Refit the piston with needle and spring and the upper chamber, but not the damper plunger. Make sure the piston can rise easily and will fall smartly hitting the bridge with a click. Fiddle with the jet if there is any binding and keep trying until you get free movement. When satisfied clamp up the jet nut. Then you can continue to fit the other bits you took off.

Please let me know how you get on. Thanks.
Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:07 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Kyle, Good hearing from you again.
I would have said that 20,000 miles from a set of Dolomite pads is quite reasonable. The pads are quite small compared with a modern, but a lot does depend on the roads you drive. As a matter of interest I get about the same mileage between pad changes from the MGB but that is a much heavier car. Its always worth cleaning off the pistons and ensuring they move freely at brake service time.
I was curious about the advert btw. Do you happen to know what year it was from please ? I remember Kingston College had its Arts centre in Canbury Park but I thought Lancasters was in Eden Street and was demolished in about 1965 to make way for Bentalls multi-storey car park.
As regards the running rich, carb; needles are a good start and the float chamber needle-and-seat replacement would be initial solutions for a gradual rich mixture change while driving. I don't think you will have waxstat carbs; on yours and I think the needles are "ABK" .
Tony.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:26 pm 

Hello all!

Thank you for both your responses! Bumpa, I've had a good read through your post now - very enlightening, what are the chances of us having such similar issues! Reading through both of your advice, I think I'm going to need to hold fire until my week off in June, maybe even consider a substantial carb overhaul instead of just replacing the jets?!

Glad to hear the milage is good for the brakes, thanks for that Tony. I thought for sure I wouldn't need to do them for ages! I will check on the age of the newspaper. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:40 pm 

My friend reckons May 12th, 1971. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:52 pm 
TDC Member

Agree with MIG Welder, float needles are a cheap and easy try. I had very rich mixture at idle but otherwise OK.

Replaced needles with 'rubber' tipped versions, and an inline filter before the fuel pump. Solved my problem.

Regarding your period Ad, I lived on Kings Road in Kingston from 1971 to 72, and had a 1300 FWD. I never went to the showroom of Lankesters, but I was a frequent customer (unfortunately) of the spares counter on Canbury Park Road, which was within walking distance (fortunately).

The FWD on the Advert suggests a date before the flagship Sprint was released.

Peter