The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fabulous
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:00 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

You'll probably have guessed from my recent posts I've been having some trouble with the clutch and the Overdrive on my SPRINT recently.

Quite some time ago the OD stopped working on a trip to a car show, about 2.5 hours away and it was absolutely no fun driving home without it. A mate and I tracked down the problem through a process of elimination to the inhibitor switch, so I bought a new one. As I was planning a time to install the thing, the slave cylinder packed it in too, so I did some research, found that it had the wrong one on the car and bought a new one of those too.

Now, like a good few who visit these pages, I am of a certain age and suffer from Osteoarthritis. But I have it all over the place, including in my neck and shoulders. Its become impossible for me to bear my own weight on my arms and getting under cars (& back out from under them) is almost impossible. I knew of another local mechanic who is sympathetic to older cars and he agreed to do the job for me. When he'd finished and because its on Historic (limited use) registration with a log book, he called and asked if I could take the car for a drive to check if the OD was now working as it should.
I filled in the log book and noticed that it had been about 15 months since I'd driven it last.

It was so good to be behind the wheel of this magic little car again. It drives so nicely. Its very responsive and handles really well with excellent road holding. Can you tell that I was chuffed? I'd missed it.

BUT, the OD still wasn't working and it turns out that when the new switch was being installed, he'd accidentally snapped one of the silk wires to the gear lever in/out switch. I cant wait for it to be made right, so I can do some serious driving again.

My thanks to those of you who took the time to answer my recent questions and especially Kiwi Geoff, who provided helpful photos on his posts. A pictures definitely worth a thousand words.

Cheers,
Rob

Post subject: Re: Fabulous
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:31 am 
TDC Member

Pleased to hear that the problem has been located. No point in having lovely cars if they are not used, you've got some serious catching up to do...

Regards

Geoff

Post subject: Yes.....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:13 pm 
TDC Member

+1

Ian

Post subject: Re: Fabulous
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:47 am 

I picked it up today, drove it home, picked up the wife and drove her back so she could drive my Caddy home. No sense in getting her to drive me in and me only getting to drive it one way, instead of 3.
I just couldn't get out of it, especially now the OD is working again.
Great little cars. I've owned it for 9 years now and I hope to have it for at least another 9. Geesh, I'll be expletive old then.
Cheers,
Rob