The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Stuck Sprint Spark plugs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:05 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Hmmm I've no idea when the last time the plugs were taken out of my Sprint as it's been off the road for almost 30 years, I'd guess that it has been run sometime since then but who knows!!
Anyway I tried to take them out a couple of days ago and they are well tight in there, I'm in no rush to strip the threads out of the head so did not want to force them. I'm thinking from memory.....over 30 years since I've worked on this engine!!.....if I take the rocker cover off and the plug tubes I'd get near enough down to the plugs to hit them with some heat from my blow lamp? Or does anyone have any better idea's? How much force do you think the head will take before the threads come with the plugs?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:57 am 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Hi Steve, Try putting some diesel down the tubes for a week or so, that will help :D I doubt the threads will come out of the head? The worst than can happen is the plug will snap :( Then ask again, there are solutions to that.

Cheers,
Tony
PS, I know its a big distance for you, but club night is this wednesday, you will be made most welcome :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:58 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

You’ll probably shear the plug before taking the thread...ask me how I know!

Was there any oil sitting in the plug tubes? I’ve found that can lead to the plug sitting tight...

Heat might help, as the aluminium should expand quicker, but there’s a massive heat sink in the head compared to the plug. I’d bathe them in plus-gas for a while first.