The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:54 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I have a rimmers sport exhaust for a Sprint with no fitting instructions.

I believe it goes downpipe, first silencer, pipe with two shallowish bends, pipe with more accute bends and then rear box. Is that right?

My problem is the middle silencer is pointing towards the ground when I fit it. It could be I have it upside down, should the first bend from the downpipe be going up or down?

Does the exhaust go in or outside the anti-roll bar? At the moment the whole thing has me baffled, so any help appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:30 pm 

First bend points uphill so the first box sits higher up into the seat well so to speak, then the rest of the exhaust sits over the antiroll bar. The one I had fitted years ago was a right pain but sounded nice good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:07 pm 

Quote:
First bend points uphill so the first box sits higher up into the seat well so to speak, then the rest of the exhaust sits over the antiroll bar. The one I had fitted years ago was a right pain but sounded nice good luck.
Oh so I had upside down. The reason I did that is the first silencer is very close to fouling the exhaust, not to mention the transmission tunnel.

Anyway thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:46 pm 

Ok another question, by over the anti-roll bar, should I be feeding the exhaust through the bar or underneath it? It looks like it is going to foul the bar if the wheel on one side moves enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:12 pm 

I think the solution is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okVtb8EmTF0

To be honest it would never have occurred to me to route the exhaust like that so close to the propshaft.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:53 am 
TDC Member

I found this photo on Facebook. Maybe it will help.

Attachments:
Sprint exhaust.jpg
Sprint exhaust.jpg [ 96.39 KiB | Viewed 465 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:40 pm 

Quote:
I found this photo on Facebook. Maybe it will help.
Thanks that is pretty much what I have done. Couldn't find the proper triumph clamp for the triumph rubber for the middle mount. Have to bodge that.

Like I said that never occurred to me, it looked so close to the propshaft, I was trying to root it down the nearside, which I now realise would have never have cleared the anti-roll bar.

Why did Triumph use that complex design with multiple turns for the standard system? it looks restrictive and expensive to make.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:16 pm 
TDC Member

"Why did Triumph use that complex design with multiple turns for the standard system? it looks restrictive and expensive to make."

Not knowing anything about Dolomites when I took my car on a couple of years ago, I was amazed at the restrictive nature of the exhaust system. I can't see the reason for it, especially as it doesn't make the car particularly quiet. Do the club sell a straight through stainless system for the 1977 1850HL? Alun? When my current exhaust rusts away, that's what I'll be looking for.