The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:12 am 
TDC Member

Hello,

While I've got the half shafts out of my rear axle on my Toledo I'm thinking that I might as well replace the rear wheel bearings. I've managed to pick up some NOS Unipart GHB180. I'd be grateful if someone can clarify the procedure. According to the ROM I have to press the bearing onto the half shaft at exactly 69.94mm. I am not sure how to measure that accurately.

James467 did a great howto saying:

"Pressed the new bearings onto the shaft to the specifications in the workshop manual. What happens is that when you tighten the hub up it draws the shaft through the bearing and ensures that it is positioned in exactly the right place to avoid extra load on the drum. Thanks Jeroen for explaining that!"

Does that mean that I should install the bearing short of 69.94mm? If so how much?

Many thanks.

1971 Triumph Toledo 2 door
1977 Triumph Stag
Toledo blog, Toledo & Dolomite part catalogues & repair manuals

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:22 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

That figure is some chosen figure I guess but not that important. When it is 69mm or slightly lower then it is ok.

I made a little drawing in solidworks, I don't know autocad, to explain what happens.

The first pic shows the bearing on the halfshaft and how to measure.

The second pic shows the halfshaft fitted in the casing and the rear hub over the halfshaft. As you can see the hub touches the bearing but the shaft is too far back and the thread isn't through the nut when fingertight.

The third pic shows a correct fitment after tightening. When tightening the hub is pressed against the bearing and the shaft is being pulled through the bearing till the conical part does seat inside the hub and the nut can be torqued correctly.

The fourth pic does show a too large distance of the bearing. Not correct.

The fifth pic shows what happens if the bearing is fitted wrong on the halfshaft. The hub is seated but does not reach the bearing. This way the load on the bearing is more because of the wider track. Also the brakedrum isn't centrated over the brakeshoes this way.

So the actual given size doesn't matter at all as long it is near. 69,92 wouldn't be a problem then. :D

Jeroen

Attachments:
as.jpg
as.jpg [ 55.57 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]