The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: car out of hibernation
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:23 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

got the car out today, hydraulics on the clutch replaced, and drove back home aprox 80 miles with no issues, needs a bloody good clean and the tracking done as not happy with it since the new rack was fitted last year, ready for sunny days and the odd show

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:40 pm 

Tracking done today and it was towing out quite a bit, now it is better but still wanders a bit to me, front is poly bushed, if i remove my hands from the wheel is does keep straight, has had new rack, new poly mounts, new track rod ends, new ball joints and all poly bushed, could it be that is is lowered on koni shocks and springs?

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:18 pm 

Quote:
Tracking done today and it was towing out quite a bit, now it is better but still wanders a bit to me, front is poly bushed, if i remove my hands from the wheel is does keep straight, has had new rack, new poly mounts, new track rod ends, new ball joints and all poly bushed, could it be that is is lowered on koni shocks and springs?

Pete
Have you checked the lower steering coupling for wear ? , if the rubbers are shot then a wandering you will do :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:19 pm 
TDC Member

Could be lots of things:
Worn bush in the bulkhead, steering joints in the column, wear in the upper/lower balljoints, wear in TRE's, rack mounts, old tyres and I am sure there are other possibilities. At the rear the angles tie rod bushes, and I suppose the lower arm bushes.
I assume the front tie-rods are polybushed?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:24 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:

Pete
Hi Pete, I think that might be the clue. If you have lowered springs it will upset camber angles at the front. So you correct this by adjusting the large shims each side under the top wishbone and the small shims under the side strut. This affects the tracking so this will then need resetting.
Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:34 pm 

its had a new steering joint, i think it may be what mig welder has said, thanks All

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:30 pm 

car finished, just washed it down, has had new clutch master cylinder, new braided hose, new pipe to remote res, propshaft replaced, tracking redone, oil and filters, all ready for the first show on Saturday, just a quick polish to finish.

Pete

Attachments:
dol1.jpg
dol1.jpg [ 89.74 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]
dol2.jpg
dol2.jpg [ 282.1 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]