The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Coast2Coast
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:35 am 
TDC Member

Having had a hectic coupe of weeks (elderly parents and ambulances/hospitals etc etc) I have had a grand total of an hour yesterday to prep the trusty Toledo
In that time I fixed the spotlights (ghettos fix that will do the job for now) Refitted the airbox etc that I took off a while ago to wash the filter, check fluids, fit new rear speakers as the old ones died on the RBRR, I suspect to a rear seat passenger dumping stuff on them. I also knocked the timing back a smidge as I was getting a bit of pinking, that and plug checks are due to be reviewed over the next 48hrs....
I then spent another night at my parents place. This morning the lady wife has hoovered the car out etc, I have just checked all 5 tyres for pressure and damage (all fine, no change in months) packed an extensive toolkit and spares box, squirted some lube over linkages etc and we are now ready to leave home.
Tonight staying in the Peak district, tomorrow Lancaster and Saturday we meet the rest of the people in Ravenglass for the off. Dinner at 5, leave at 7pm. Over the country via little, steep roads, over to Middlesborough and down to Bicester for the DID meeting, aim to be there 7am. A little over 400 miles, but looks a slow pace according to the notes I have, which has to be down to the roads used.

So the little car will get another 1000? miles on the clock this weekend.

Anybody else taking part??

Post subject: Re: Coast2Coast
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:16 am 
TDC Member

Sadly we won't be on the run - hope you have a great event (and a trouble free run!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:24 pm 
TDC Member

Cheers Sam. Arrived at our first stop, near Macclesfield.
Massive hailstorm on the way, and discovered that the "cat and fiddle" road has been made safe. By installing 50mph average speed cameras. Boo.
Car ok, had a couple of "flutters" which feel fuel related. This is recent, and happens after been held in traffic for a few mins. It misses on 2 cylinders (I think) then clears.
Will check plugs tomorrow. Timing seems better with virtually no pinking. Will take a tad more off when I check the plugs.

Otherwise uneventful. Which is good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Massively pleased to hear that the car is being used for its intended purpose - good luck with the run :thumbsup:

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:58 pm 
TDC Member

Look out for Covcourier, aka Stewart in his Sprint

1965 Triumph 2000 black and rust
1967 BSA B40wd green
2018 Jaguar E pace 2018
NOBODY expects the Canley Inquisition!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:02 pm 
TDC Member

Update. Had a breakdown on the M6. Spark related as the rev counter stopped too. Ran the usual checks, all ok. Reconnected everything and all working.
I would rather have found a problem, but glad to be sorted (for now?)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:57 pm 
TDC Member

How did your run go Clive? Trouble free? Good route?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:55 pm 
TDC Member

Crikey, what a drive....
Yes, we got to the finish all intact, no real issues except the M6 breakdown which returned a couple of times. Then the penny dropped, it happens when the demister fan was switched on. Simple solution, open a window, but the problem is obviously wiring related and needs proper investigation.

The route was brilliant, though Hardknott pass is something else, not for the faint-hearted. Once that was done, it was pretty straightforward 400 miles. But not easy.... The funniest part was the organised stop at McDonalds at 1am ish. A slightly surreal place to be.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:32 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Coast to Coast, which Coast to Coast?

The Coast to Coast is a multisport competition held annually in New Zealand. It starts on the west coast Kumara Beach and finishes on the east coast New Brighton Beach in Christchurch.

No cars involved. Well not directly for there are lots of vehicles supporting the athletes. The competitors run up the beach at Kumara, cycle to the foot of the Southern Alps, run over one of the mountain passes, cycle to the start of the Waimakariri River gorge, kayak through the gorge to the head of the Canterbury plains, cycle to the beach and then run to the finish line a little over 150 miles away.

Only for the fit and healthy. Some manage to reach the finish line in under 12 hours, the record is just over 11 hours.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:33 am 
TDC Member