The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: sprint water pump
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:21 pm 
TDC Member

Hi all, I am just starting the job of repairing the leaking water pump on my sprint, and there seem to be many pitfalls in doing the job successfully. So far I have removed the inlet manifold and pump cover.
In the middle of the manifold is a metal pipe which had gone green, so I started to clean it, it now has a hole due to corrosion, is there anywhere that can repair this pipe or supply another manifold.
Also under the lh carb mount is a fitting that the heater pipe fits onto, this is in poor condition due to a sealant that has gone hard and clogging the threads, are these available.
I tried to drain the block, the nut was very tight, it did move but went tight again after one turn, is there a danger of this shearing or stripping threads if I carry on.
Finally are the pump repair kits from RB good quality or should I try somewhere else.
Looking forward to any advice. Regards Terry.

Post subject: Re: sprint water pump
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:42 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Hi Foxface,

I can supply you with a used replacement manifold that still has a good heater pipe union fitted; it has been drilled and tapped for a vacuum gauge take off and still has the pipe union for that in it, but you can remove that and blank the hole with a bolt of the correct size (or use it and fit a vacuum gauge!).

I can also supply you with a good quality water pump repair kit at reasonable cost as I have a couple on the shelf just in case.

With regard the drain bolt, will it turn to do it up again? If so, do so a bit and apply some plus gas and try to tease it out incrementally as if you were tapping a hole: turn one way a bit and then turn back again a bit more...

Where are you located?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:36 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Hi all, I am just starting the job of repairing the leaking water pump on my sprint, and there seem to be many pitfalls in doing the job successfully. So far I have removed the inlet manifold and pump cover.
In the middle of the manifold is a metal pipe which had gone green, so I started to clean it, it now has a hole due to corrosion, is there anywhere that can repair this pipe or supply another manifold.
Also under the lh carb mount is a fitting that the heater pipe fits onto, this is in poor condition due to a sealant that has gone hard and clogging the threads, are these available.
I tried to drain the block, the nut was very tight, it did move but went tight again after one turn, is there a danger of this shearing or stripping threads if I carry on.
Finally are the pump repair kits from RB good quality or should I try somewhere else.
Looking forward to any advice. Regards Terry.
Try ebay for manifolds, they come up all the time, as does the pipe work.

As for the brothers, I hesitate to recommend them to anyone. Never had any problems with Robsport and their postage is much more reasonable. There are threads about the pump repair and they do mention checking that the bottom of the impeller is flat to get a proper seal. Probably worth checking and getting it machined if needed.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:16 am 

Terry, the late great Jon Tilson wrote a guide which you can find HERE

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:27 am 

I also have machined impellers on the shelf that I supply on an exchange basis...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:39 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks for all the good advice
And xvivalve I would like to buy the manifold and pump impeller. my car is a 1979 year with a twelve vane pump. let me know what I have to do next
Regards Terry

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:09 am 

PM sent Terry.