The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Sprint 2" SU HS8 carbs
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:58 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

I have obtained a pair of ST 2" carbs ( FZX1050 ) and am doing a refurb before using them. They are exactly as per the original SU FZX1050 diagrams with the UP needles but I need a 0.125" jet ( CUD2697 ) for the front carb because that one has a broken feed pipe. Burlen currently have them on back order.

Any thoughts or recommendations about using them on the Sprint engine? Cleaned up head with a Newman phase 3 cam and a balanced bottom end.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:19 am 
TDC Member

I inherited a pair, complete with manifold from a crashed car that was used for mild motorsport. I then fitted them to a road going Sprint with a standard to mild cam. Yes, the car went really well at higher revs and illegal speeds, but I soon removed and went back to the standard carbs as the engine lost much of it's low speed torque and overall tractability. Generally it was a pain to drive in town or slow traffic and even on the open road required more gear changes to get higher revs where the performance was. Fine if you want it for a track capable car and are happy to put up with a more difficult drive around town.
So answer really depends on what you want to use the car for....

Geoff