The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:54 pm 
Has anybody had an issue with timing chains being supplied by Rimmers as I have just built a new motor and after starting the motor and running it for 5-6 minutes the timing chain guides disintegrated into pulped rubber and and caused damage to the engine that now requires a rebuild. I was of the opinion that the guides were to made of a hardened product that would not disintegrate but upon inspection of the supplied guides they appear to be a rubber product. It's not like you can go to the local Repco store in Australia and pick up a replacement part

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:09 am 
TDC Member

Not heard of this issue reported before. A number of years ago a few owners had issues with the tensioner rubber faces coming away but that seems to have been resolved long ago.

Was the chain tight and the tensioner extended before you started the engine?

Suggest you phone and or email the supplier with photos and negotiate with them. I have found them receptive and reasonable in past dealings I have had.

Geoff

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:53 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

The bad tensioners haven't changed. People are aware and buy alternatives. I've had some repro guides in my hands but never fitted these. Always used good used ones for the piece in mind.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:17 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

This is a concern as on first inspection the repro guides look OK. I have installed some in my engine but not yet started it. My original guides I still have but they are quite worn. Reports of a failure are making me think about finding some better used ones rather than risk using the repro ones. My tensioner is a Renold and my timing chain is IWIS I think so both should be good.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:03 am 
The response from Rimmers was you have had them for 2 years bad luck we will not replace them even though they had only been installed in a new motor build that had only been run for 5-6 minutes.
I'm guessing that there is no consumers laws like here where the goods that are supplied and are not fit for the intended purpose are refunded or replaced by the supplier

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:17 am 

I think that's a normal reaction. Two years is a long time. You can't expect all after two years.

The thing with these parts is that there is one manufacturer and all suppliers sell the same. When there is a bad batch all suppliers have the same batch. If it's a structural problem you aren't helped by the same replacement or buy elsewhere.

It's not only these guides but all classic cars have their own certain repro parts to avoid.

Maybe you can source used ones or maybe it wasn't a structural problem and are the current repro's better quality. Maybe inform at suppliers who have workshops for servicing. These suppliers can tell often more about the quality of certain parts because these are also used in their own workshops.

Good luck.
Jeroen

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:26 am 
Really you are missing the point as the guides where brand new and never been used before age should not affect the quality of the product and when you compare them against original sets there is no comparison between the hardness of the original sets and the remanufactured sets as the new set are just neoprene rubber faced
It would be really nice to be able to contact the owners of Rimmers and just explain the issues we have with there remanufactured products and the poor service we receive in Australia in relation to the supply of poor quality products, it sure takes the joy of owning 2 Sprints 1 TR6 Triumphs

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:28 am 

I really do understand your problem but if I was selling tv's giving 1 year warranty and you call me two years after the bought that you stored your tv on the attic for two years and now it doesn't work after one day using it you can expect this normal reaction we can't return.

I did have had faulty parts in the past over the years and these were replaced on a correct way by Rimmer Bros as they state in their sales conditions. One year warranty and within a year 100% replacement by a new part. That are reasonable conditions for any company that has to guess how their parts are installed and how these were used, not saying you did anything wrong.

I'm not ringing Lucas either when a NOS condensor of 35 years fails within 3 months aldough it was in the original unopened package.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:34 am 

It shouldn't have failed, it as simple as that.

I am afraid that is the world of car parts and especially classic cars parts. Suppliers selling garbage that last five minutes or doesn't fit properly.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:44 am 

Quote:
The response from Rimmers was you have had them for 2 years bad luck we will not replace them even though they had only been installed in a new motor build that had only been run for 5-6 minutes.
I'm guessing that there is no consumers laws like here where the goods that are supplied and are not fit for the intended purpose are refunded or replaced by the supplier
Actually there is, the consumer rights act. The brothers are claiming they covered by the 6 month time limit on faults. I am not so sure that is the case:
Quote:
Six months or more
If a fault develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time you took ownership of it.
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... rights-act

Now from your description the fault was present at point of sale. The compound on the guides was not up to spec, so Rimmerbrothers fault. The problem is proving that in a UK court, especially when you're in Australia, is no easy feat.

Frankly I am not impressed by the way this has been handled. People often buy all the parts they need for a restoration in advance, so it is unreasonable for parts to be used months or years after sale. It perfectly reasonable for us to expect the parts to be fit for purpose, after all they are supposedly the experts and are suppose to stock the correct parts.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:32 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Irrespective of Rimmer's rather unhelpful response there's still the issue of whether or not this is a recurring problem or an isolated incident. There's been plenty of Sprint/1850/Tr7/Stag engines built up over the last few years but I've not heard of any other case of timing chain guide failure.

I'm guessing that all the repros are made by the same people?

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:54 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Irrespective of Rimmer's rather unhelpful response there's still the issue of whether or not this is a recurring problem or an isolated incident.
Just following up on Mark's comment, could you have a careful look at the connecting links on the timing chain please. What I'm thinking of is that if just one or 2 of the links have not been deburred they wouldn't take long to saw their way though the chain guides. Has the same problem occured to the rubber on the tensioner as well ?
Tony.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:36 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Irrespective of Rimmer's rather unhelpful response there's still the issue of whether or not this is a recurring problem or an isolated incident.
Just following up on Mark's comment, could you have a careful look at the connecting links on the timing chain please. What I'm thinking of is that if just one or 2 of the links have not been deburred they wouldn't take long to saw their way though the chain guides. Has the same problem occured to the rubber on the tensioner as well ?
Tony.
That is a good one. Also check the lock. Some chain's have two E-clips supplied instead of an conventional lock. This should not be assembled this way. Last year by coincidence I did notice that at a TR7. By checking the timing through the fillercap I did see and one was missing...

At modern engines with plastic guides these will be fine. When a rubber/pad type guide or tensioners are grooved by wear the E-clip can pop off. The German IWIS chains do have sometimes these clips supplied but don't use these clips.

Jeroen

Attachments:
0009970598-M48.jpg
0009970598-M48.jpg [ 24.09 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:16 pm 
Hi Jeroen
My chain appears to be a one piece Rolan chain and tensioner and is nice and smooth with no parts to cause damage.
It is the soft neoprene that was used on the faces of the guides that is the problem and if I could post a photo of the Guide supplied by Rimmers you would be able to see the damage caused to the chain on the soft neoprene and I was able to to press a normal dressmakers pin through the width of the guide without the pin bending try doing that to an original guides material.
I attended the local Triumph Car Club Meeting in Canberra last night and members just could not believe the poor quality of the guides and their advice was to contact the Triumph Car Club in England and let them know of the problem but I don't know who they mean or have contact details as the Canberra President stated that they would not tolerate the supply of substandard part and would take the issue up with Rimmers
I am unable to post photos for some reason
I have tried to obtain a mail contact for Richard Caunt at Rimmers from the sales staff but they are unresponsive and unfortunately if the think I will give up, they are wrong
Anyway this is the latest response from Rimmers,
Dear Mr Jenkins,

I didn't state the Warranty period was 2 years, I simply pointed out the guides were purchased over 2 years at the time i only looked at the order date 18/12/16, i didn't look the date the guides were dispatched.

Rimmer Bros warranty is for 12 months you can find more information hear: https://rimmerbros.com/content--name-Warranty
Warranty - Rimmer Bros
Warranty - Fast delivery - worldwide - 01522 568000 or 1-855-746-2767 - Payment options including PayPal - Website with extensive info - Free catalogues
rimmerbros.com

After 1 year and 11 months can it be guaranteed that the guides would still have been in the same condition as they were sold in. If the rubber has been contaminated it could cause premature wear, UV rays from sunlight can also affect the rubber.

Wade Jackson
Customer services
Rimmer Bros

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:20 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

If you have a Rolon tensioner DO NOT use it in the re-build.