The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:00 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Right
my car has gone for its respray where is the best place to get the silver coachlines......
also i have the set of chrome side trim but my car is not fitted with it.....is it just a point of drilling the holes and fitting the trim....4 questions
what size hole is needed to be drilled....
is there an insert that goes into the hole or is it bare
does anyone have the clips and inserts if needed
matt black for the bootlid but what black should the sills be
Cheers
Rob
just a quick one does anyone have a picture of a panel with the holes in it so i can see how low i need to drill them....the closer the better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:14 pm 
Hmmm... I'll give a few of these a go:

- a tip given by Mark Evans whilst resoring an MGB was when you drill the holes, mark up first and make sure it lines up by eye rather than by measurement - i.e. measuring 4 inches up from the sill, for example, might actually give you a wonky line along the whole side of the car

- Rimmers sell the little attaching grommets that go in the holes - I also got some on eBay from seller percy_peacock - he sold a load at the time which were brand new but he quoted them as "limited stock" so whether he can still get them, who knows

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/rimmer/triu ... ior%20Trim

- from memory, the rear panel is not matt black but satin black

- couple of diagrams from Rimmers show reasonably well where the strips go:

Hope that helps - if not, don't dispair, someone who knows what they're talking about will be along in a minute :wink:

Post subject: Dont bother...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:24 pm 

with the chrome side trims mate. They are just a source if rust points. Every car I have with these has scabs behind the trim starting from the clip holes. If your car has never had them, leave them off. Also I would NOT remove the gutter trim. Its too easilly damaged in removal and nevr looks right when it goes back on. Better to just mask it. I expect others will disagree but thats my honest....

Trim clips Ive found hard to source....the cill trims are the same as rover P6 ones but the others Ive had trouble getting and only have a few left now and none I could call spare.
Good luck with them.

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:40 pm 
just a point of view but I dont see the point in drilling holes in good solid metal to create potential rust traps - surely you must have seen many a basket case with the rust blobs along the doors and wings where the clips that hold the trims on go.

my angle is to use some silicone type adhesive or trim tape and stick the things on.

if you're determined to use the standard nasty little crappy clip things (once you've eventually sourced them) then make sure you treat the bits you drill with some kind of rust prevention stuff inside and out because no matter how good your paint job is, once the rot sets in you're buggered.

i dont know what the argument will be FOR the clips, but im sure someone can offer a different point of view...

I think rimmers will be able to do the silver coach lines for you.

on the paint for the sills if you're gona do them black (theres various people with different views on whether to do them black or not), after a decent layer of stoneguard and then the body coloured paint, I'd use the same satin black as used on the boot/rear panel. as a reference point, mask off a line about 1cm thick along the top edge of the sill before you paint, leaving a little strip of body colour below the door line visible. I'd strongly advise against fitting the sill trims using clips, in fact i wouldnt bother fitting them at all. In my opinion they look crap an dif fitted with clips they're the worst rust traps of all!!

:thumbsup:

Last edited by Dollyboy on Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: side trim
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:42 pm 

was thinking about double sided tape to fit the side trim as per newer cars then no holes needed
Cheers
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:02 am 
Agree with Jonners, DO NOT remove the roof gutter trims, just mask them up. Mine look like a Heroin Addicts arm (all wrinkled, bent and covered in puncture marks) since I took them off and tried to get them back on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:37 am 
I've not tried these yet but might be worth a phone call
http://www.bresco.co.uk/controller.jsp? ... psmoulding

How ever, i agree with the others, no hole drilling if poss to save yourself the rust spots.

Post subject: side trim
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:19 am 

ok i will not be drilling holes or removing the gutter trim

still need to know what colour paint is on the sills and to confirm satin black for the rear panel

and still need to get some coachlines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:17 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Didn't the club have coach lines remanufactured? Paul Booker? Try Malc...

Defo satin black to cills and rear panel within the chrome.

Post subject: Coach lines...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:44 am 

If you are going for the early look Rob then you can leave the coach lines off too...
Have you got some early wheel trims to match or are you going to fit Sprint alloys?

Think yours is britsh racing green too...bit dark and an early car for Brooklands. Paint code should be on the chassis plate.

Should be a cracking car when done...

Jonners

Post subject: respray
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:04 pm 

yes i have a set of sprint alloys....yes it is british racing green....
i was going to do the coachlines and fit the side trim as it already has the sill trims i have also fitted the early dash gauges except for the rev counter... need a headrest as i have located pair already but one has the clip at the end missing
Cheers
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:57 pm 
I have black vinyl headrests, any good to you?

Post subject: headrests
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:45 pm 

pm sent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:05 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Early cars had the cill trims but not the door rubbers

Middle cars had both

Late cars had just the door rubbers

Post subject: