The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: noisy Dolly
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:13 pm 
TDC Member

Hi this may be a silly question but I'll have to ask.
I have a 1972 1850 dolomite non overdrive fitted with a sport exhaust that was fitted when i bought the car at 50 mph 3000rpm the car gets very loud inside, Ive had a new timing chain fitted so at tick over the car is quiet should i take the sport exhaust off and fit a standard one?

Post subject: Re: noisy Dolly
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:25 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Stainless exhausts can resonate a bit. Ive had success with clamping metal weights to the exhaust near the centre silencer. A kg or 2 is enough. I used a large scrap wheelbearing off a modern car welded to an exhaust clamp. It just adds enough mass to cut out most of the resonance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:58 pm 

Quote:
I have a 1972 1850 dolomite non overdrive fitted with a sport exhaust that was fitted when i bought the car at 50 mph 3000rpm the car gets very loud inside, Ive had a new timing chain fitted so at tick over the car is quiet should i take the sport exhaust off and fit a standard one?
Then how would you cover up the wind noise?

How much of the sound deadening that was originally fitted to the car is still there? If it is gone, reinstating it might make a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:45 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Stainless exhausts can resonate a bit. Ive had success with clamping metal weights to the exhaust near the centre silencer. A kg or 2 is enough. I used a large scrap wheelbearing off a modern car welded to an exhaust clamp. It just adds enough mass to cut out most of the resonance.
Thanks I'll that a go

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:48 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:

How much of the sound deadening that was originally fitted to the car is still there? If it is gone, reinstating it might make a difference.
Not sure how much sound deadening should be in the car but my next move on that is to remove all the carpet and lay sound proofing and underlay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:29 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:

Certainly on my 1977 1850, the largest amount of noise at 60-70 mph is wind roar. But then I have overdrive and the later very complicated (and restrictive) exhaust system. The bulkhead in the engine bay should have sound deadening material glued to it. I don't know what would have been under the carpets as standard. I have actually removed some of the material on the driver's side of my bulkhead because I had to do some repairs there. I can't say the car is any noisier as a result. But compared with almost any modern car it is noisy inside.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:23 am 

Quote:
Quote:

Certainly on my 1977 1850, the largest amount of noise at 60-70 mph is wind roar. But then I have overdrive and the later very complicated (and restrictive) exhaust system. The bulkhead in the engine bay should have sound deadening material glued to it. I don't know what would have been under the carpets as standard. I have actually removed some of the material on the driver's side of my bulkhead because I had to do some repairs there. I can't say the car is any noisier as a result. But compared with almost any modern car it is noisy inside.
There should be deadening material on the transmission tunnel, the footwells have some sort of bitchumen material glued to them, I also found some bags of sound deadening material in my doors when I took them apart (don't know if that was standard).

One thing that would make a difference is putting deadening material underneath the bonnet, most modern cars have it, just make sure it is fire proof.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:59 am 

Quote:
There should be deadening material on the transmission tunnel, the footwells have some sort of bitchumen material glued to them, I also found some bags of sound deadening material in my doors when I took them apart (don't know if that was standard).

One thing that would make a difference is putting deadening material underneath the bonnet, most modern cars have it, just make sure it is fire proof.
Those bags should be inbetween the rearwings and innerframe at fuelfiller height. When I was 18 and dismantled my first Dolomite I though I had found two bags to be able to finance a lifetime of restoring Dolomites only soon to find out all Dolomites had these bags with pluche in that area....

Jeroen