The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:29 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

A couple of weeks ago I posted about a puff of blue smoke on start up from my Dolomite Sprint. Thankfully this has been resolved......albeit by accident!

I found the oil in the inlet manifold when I removed the carbs and sent the bodies off to have them re-bushed. Air was leaking past the spindles and messing with the air/fuel mix resulting in a high idle. I rebuilt the carbs and the idle is now a steady 700 RPM and as a bonus the puff of smoke has also stopped. I've done over 200 miles without any smoke on start up.

The only explanation I can think of is the leak caused a reduction in inlet vacuum (I've measured a 2" vacuum increase since refitting the carbs) and this reduced the draw from the crankcase and allowed the heavier oil particles to condense and gather. Anyone have any other ideas?

Whatever the cause I'm very pleased its fixed - The 'James Bond' smoke screen was not a good look!

A fantastic service on the carbs - Quick and inexpensive. I'll post the details separately so it's searchable.