The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: OHV Clutch hydraulics
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:59 pm 
TDC Member

I only recently noticed that in the Rimmers parts and accessories catalogue edit 2.2 that the 1500cc clutch master cylinder part number is given as 158695 and that this is NOT the same as the one used on both the 1300 and the 1850cc. That uses part number GMC1023. I followed this up by looking at the Official Triumph Dolomite range1976 onwards part catalogue this also indicates that the 1500cc is not the same as the other OHV engines. Part number 158695 is again shown for the 1500cc but a part number 138928 is given for the other engines. On the same page it also gives repair kit part numbers. For the 1300 and 1850 a part number 8G 8806 is given and I did find a site that stated now use GRK 1029 and on further investigation a site that indicated that this was for a Girling 5/8 inch master cylinder. For the 1500 a repair kit number is given as 515258 and I have been unable to find any reference to the bore size that this kit had been made for, so I went into my garage and looked at a spare master cylinder that I had been told came from a 1500. On this cylinder it was clearly marked as being a 3/4 inch so I made the assumption that the 1500cc master cylinder should be 3/4 inch. However the Rimmers document implies and their web site indicates that the GRK1029 repair kit is applicable to both types of master slave cylinders.

I have looked at a number of Clutch hydraulic supplier sites and they tend to leave out any reference to a master clutch cylinder for the 1500cc.

I have a number of other 1500cc Clutch master cylinders that have come off scrap cars and today I decided to have a look at them. Much to my surprise they were all marked as being 5/8 inch so obviously a 5/8 will work but did Triumph decide to fit the larger cylinder to make more tolerant to wear in the various pivots etc and air in the system and this has been lost over the years.

Can you add anything to help.
I also came across an indication that a Land Rover series 3 clutch master cylinder part Number STC500100P could be used, provided the push rod is changed over with the one from the original slave cylinder (correction from the master cylinder) and that an adaptor part number 139082 is used to make the pipe connection. I have asked Rimmer’s to advise if it can be used as they currently do not have any stock of the 1500cc Master cylinder that they quote in their document. I do not know what the bore size the Land Rover item is so I am also hoping they will provide this detail.

Last edited by Richard the old one on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:37 pm 
TDC Member

Pretty certain the LR master is 3/4". Sold by some rather iffy people as an "uprated" master cylinder, in reality it will be heavier and less feel.

On spitfires, the same slave cylinder is used on all the 4 cylinder cars equipped with f=diaphragm clutches (coil spring clutch is different) so I would expect all the dolly/toledo 13/1500 to use the same as each other, unless it is a connector size issue? (i used a spitfire master and slave with the small copper type piping on my car. In fact still do with sprint gearbox, and a vitesse 1600 slave which has the same bore as a sprint)
All rather confusing, or simple. Depending on how you look at it.