The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:31 am 
TDC Member

Dear Dolomite Forum, for a long time I've enjoyed reading this wonderful website so I thought it would be about time to write..

I'd like to introduce my first official Sprint ! Growing up we had several marques, Triumph-wise included (2) 2500 Saloons and a Sprint. This Sprint is the first Triumph that's mine, and the one I really wanted!

It when exciting when the Sprint arrived in a flatbed truck after a 1200KM journey(2013). Since then I've been collecting parts and slowly carrying out repairs (dad being a great help!). Though not 100% certain, the car appears to have not been registered since 1988 (the 'bicentennial' sticker still present), the paint is tired (though resprayed at some point), engine being rebuilt and I've had those wonderful heads redone. Interior is excellent(especially the seats, they look unused!), headlining will be replaced due to unsightly speaker holes in the pillar(no big deal!), plus the lightly cracked dashboard(both wood and vinyl). The ancient tyres haven't been sold here since early 1980s! Post restoration I'll likely keep it mostly standard (though I've installed lumenition ignition) though might warm up the internals one day. It offers so much as it is. I admit to having resisted a Weber manifold purchase lately though (haha)

I'm just amazed at solid the car is, (so far) zero rust anywhere. The interior even has the 'Triumph Smell' which Australian 2500s, TR6's have (is it the glue)

I could go on but am just 'stoked' with this car, probably as excited as dad was with his when these were new ! Equally glad to be on this excellent site and seeing the other amazing projects here, as you're likely aware the 600 or so Sprints sold new in Australia were all Mimosa Yellow so it's great seeing examples in BRG, Flamenco/Pimento Red and even Magenta. You were really a lucky bunch in the UK !

More photos to come, thanks for listening !

Kindest Regards,

JP

edited: though registered as a 1976 (like most Australian Sprints) have just learned from British Motor Museum my Sprint was 'born' in Nov 1975 / updated Subject accordingly :D

Attachments:
5.JPG
5.JPG [ 103.97 KiB | Viewed 1040 times ]
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 60.42 KiB | Viewed 1040 times ]
8.jpg
8.jpg [ 241.84 KiB | Viewed 1040 times ]
6.JPG
6.JPG [ 125.3 KiB | Viewed 1040 times ]

Last edited by JPSPRINT on Sat May 02, 2020 9:50 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:10 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Dear Dolomite Forum, for a long time I've enjoyed this wonderful website so I thought it would be about time to write..

I thought I'd introduce my first official Triumph ! Our family had several marques including (2) 2500 Saloons and a Sprint, but this example is the first Triumph that's mine, and the one I really wanted !

My young engineer dad had one (Mimosa Yellow) back in the day and is helping with the restoration, and to see mine arrived after a 1200KM flatbed track journey was exciting ! Before me the car appears to have not been registered since 1988, the paint is a bit tired(though resprayed at some point). Engine is being rebuilt and I've had the heads redone. Interior is excellent(especially the seats), maybe headlining will be replaced due to unsightly speaker holes in the pillar(no big deal!), plus the dashboard(both wood and vinyl) But the car is fairly solid overall and perfect for a loving restoration.

Aside from electronic ignition (lumenition) I intend to keep the car mostly standard, it's offers a lot as it is. I do admit to successfully resisting a Weber manifold lately though (haha)..

I could go on but am just 'stoked' with this car, probably as excited as dad was in 1976 ! Equally glad to be on this site and seeing the other amazing projects here. Even the colour range, as you're likely aware the 600 or so Sprints sold new in Australia were all Mimosa Yellow so it's great seeing examples in BRG, Pimento Red and even Magenta. You were a lucky bunch in the UK !

That's enough from me, there'll be more photos to come in the near future ! Thanks for listening !

Kindest Regards,

JP
Welcome, it looks a cracking car :)

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:49 am 
TDC Member

Thanks so much mate ! Appreciated..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:46 am 
TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser

Welcome JP, and good luck with the project!

It looks a lovely car and a good base for restoration - keep us updated!

Kind Regards

MC

TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser.
TDC/TSSC group meeting - 3rd Tuesday of the month
The Duke at Clifton - OX15 0PE

1980 1500HL - OPD
1976 Sprint - SWU

Post subject: Hello and .....
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:04 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Dear Dolomite Forum, for a long time I've enjoyed this wonderful website so I thought it would be about time to write..
Welcome to the forum.

Ian.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:07 am 
TDC Member

Reconditioned head finally installed :D

Attachments:
IMG_8202.png
IMG_8202.png [ 1000.94 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:10 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Cylinder head looks nice and clean :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:35 pm 
TDC Member

Welcome JP! Lucky beggar having a Sprint! ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:24 am 
TDC Member

G'day lads!

Firstly sorry for the LONG absence (what a year!!)

A lot of work has been performed and hoping to update this great site soon!

Too much to list but pictures will come, some highlights thus far:

Trackerjack kit received and installed!(Jon = LEGEND. Thank you!! And dad for fitting!!)
Everything mechanically renovated
Luminition Electronic Ignition
Tyres (Falken!)
Received indicators from Carledo / Steve (thanks mate!!)
Cracked dashboard vinyl pad sent to Melbourne and back, since installed, also woodwork received from Chapman and Cliff!
New headlining (Aldridge), new vinyl roof (Newton Commercial), these will be installed post paint
New master switch, indicator and wiper stalk arriving anyday now, will be replaced ASAP!
Instrument gauge seals, propshaft etc and other boring stuff :lol:

I hope to have the car registered soon, to at least drive to the paint shop, then upload pics hopefully worthy of this site!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:34 pm 
Sweet looking. I'm having to do mine as a rolling resto, a bit at a time, not having a garage or shed and landlords do not like dismantled cars on their property. Green with envy. Brilliant job :)

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:09 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Sweet looking. I'm having to do mine as a rolling resto, a bit at a time, not having a garage or shed and landlords do not like dismantled cars on their property. Green with envy. Brilliant job :)
Cheers for the encouragement mate, much appreciated!

Finally on the road, driving beautifully..:lol: fun per mile is 11/10! what a blast..