The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:22 pm 
TDC Member

This afternoon I have been drilling three 8.5mm holes in some 12 mm plate that was very kindly cut into bits 9.5cm by 6cm by a fellow triumph owner to make spacer / mounting plates so that I can use a Land Rover Discovery mount type NRC2053. The centre hole had to be tapped 10m so that the mount could be attached and once screwed in the extra length of the mounting thread was cut off. The other two holes are positioned so that they will accept the original fixing bolts.

The Land Rover mounts are not very expensive but as yet I do not know how well they will last.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:45 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi

Looks good, interest to see how it goes!

Regards

Barry

1975 Triumph 1500 TC various shades of blue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:28 pm 
TDC Member

The mounts that I have fitted are fine at the moment but I wanted to sort out what I could use in future when they fail as I know a lot of owners are having problems with the mounts that are currently available.

I have posted it now so that other owners can consider this option.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:05 pm 
TDC Member

Richard, about 10 years ago I did something similar with LR mounts. I used the original metal plates off the old mount, tacked an M10 nut centrally on the underside, and also some spacer washers (may have been m10 nuts!) for the fixing bolts. This all worked fine. But I think your m12 plate is a better/simpler, but I didn't have any!
The LR type mounts lasted fine. But there is a large a variety in that style, ford, jags and others. All different thicknesses/diameters etc.

When I fitted the TR7 engine, I used jag e type mounts, having cut the mounting towers of the OHV subframe and plated over. These have a similar hole spacing to the original type mounts, with a central threaded "hole" which accepts a 1/2" unf bolt. The advantage (to me) is that with fixing bolts removed there are no protrusions. Plus the mounts are available as proper Jag OEM, currently on offer at £27 a pair....