The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:26 pm 
TDC Member

Just thought i would share my experience with two jobs i did recently.
Not saying i am right or discovered anything new, just passing on for thoughts and in case it helps anybody.

Cam cover
I didn't want to use any sealer on this so i cut the gasket as shown in the attache pic and fitted it with new rubber semi-circle seals in the head. I didn't tighten in very tight to make it seal, just used a scewdriver to hand tight. It is a thousand miles since i did it and it is still leak free. I am sure people have done this before but equally when i looked for advice it was full off which sealer to use.

Oil Sender unit (with t-piece for oil pressure gauge)
When i was looking into this there was lots of info pointing to sender units being 1/8 NPT to match the car but i think the hole in the engine is 1/8 BSPT .
This job was confused by needing a new t-piece for the oil pressure gauge as well.

I bought a TP8 kit from this website http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/ht ... lines.html (found via a post on here) and adaptor from amazon to convert the sender from NPT to BSPT.
I belive they are correct about the car being 1/8 BSPT. All new sender units seem to be NPT which you can force into an alluminium BSPT thread but with a brass NPT to BSPT converter it feels much better when assembling it.

Connecting the oil gauge
Also when i was fitting the new pipe from the t-piece to the gauge (which is clear) it was obvious there was a lot of air in the pipe instead of oil. I diconnected the connector at the gauge and turned the engine over to bleed the air out and quickly reconnected it. After i did this the gauge now reads over 50 when revving the engine (which it never did before before i bled the air out)