The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:02 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

The lower bearing on my steering column has had its last days. This bearing is the same as Stag and 2000/2500 so unlike the top bearing it is available.
To replace it appears that the lower sliding section of the column needs to be removed. But mine will not come out.

Does anyone know how this lower bearing is replaced?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:29 pm 
TDC Member

There is a drift pin to knock out,have you done that

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:17 pm 

Quote:
There is a drift pin to knock out,have you done that

Dave
I haven't found a drift pin, where is it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:10 pm 

come on guys someone must know how to do this!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:44 pm 
TDC Member

Have you removed the steering column from the car?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:42 pm 
TDC Member

I suggest you get a copy of the Haynes dolomite workshop manual but the following is should enable you to do the work.

Steering columb – Dismantling, overhaul and reassembly

Remove the steering wheel and hub from the steering columb and then remove the steering columb from the car.

Then before you go any further I recommend that you check that the spire washer is in contact with the lower bearing until all the end float of the column is eliminated as it may have moved and be the cause of your problem.

Remove the nacelle so that the switch clusters can be removed and the direction indicator trip cam.

Take off the circlip and washer which retains the steering mast upper bearing and carefully slide the upper columb downwards from the housing.

If the upper ball-race shows any signs of rough running or excessive play it can be prised out of the housing. If all is satisfactory it should be greased with a multi purpose grease.

If the lower bearing is to be replaced the column remove the thrust washer if it has not already been removed / fallen off, on later build steering columbs this may have been spot welding in place and the weld will need to be filed / ground off so that the spire washer and tapered nut can be removed.

When refitting the column, first grease and fit the new lower bearing followed by the spire washer which should be fitted loosely at first.

Next tighten the tapered nut fully ensuring that backlash is eliminated but that axial movement is freely obtainable.

Slide the column upwards into the housing, making sure that the upper bearing is correctly positioned. Fit the retaining washer and circlip at the upper end of the shaft.

Carefully press the lower bearing into the housing fully and evenly, ensure that the upper bearing does not move.

Move the spire washer into contact with the lower bearing until all the end float of the column is eliminated.

Finally remember to fit the thrust washer when fitting the column back in the car. I do not see the need to spot weld it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:24 pm 

Quote:

If the lower bearing is to be replaced the column remove the thrust washer if it has not already been removed / fallen off, on later build steering columbs this may have been spot welding in place and the weld will need to be filed / ground off so that the spire washer and tapered nut can be removed.
The column is removed from the car and completely stripped down with the inner mast having been removed.

Thank you Richard, its the lower bearing which has disintegrated and which I am trying to replace.
Your explanation is helpful and it is pretty much the conclusion I had come to on how to do it.