The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:05 am 
TDC Member

Just discovered this when completing an annual service. Only noticed as grease wouldn't pump into the rack, just all squirts straight out. At first though the nipple was blocked so went to change. It won't unscrew as whatever it is screwed into also rotates as well as moving side to side, within the limited space. All quite unlike spare racks I have where the grease nipple is firmly mounted and unscrews easily. I've already overhauled this rack in 2000 and again in 2010, with about 20k miles in between, but given this is summer in NZ and I'd rather be driving than doing repairs, I would rather leave this six months.

Everything else is quite tight, car drives beautifully, steering smooth lock to lock. Play in steering is 3-4mm max at the outer edge of the steering wheel. I would expect that to be dealt with by resetting shims to standard play in the rack damper and replacing the bush in the left end of the rack housing.

Can anyone see any issues with continuing to drive?

Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:32 am 
TDC Member

There must be a small bush rotating. Easy fix on the bench so personally I would leave it until you are ready. Sounds like you do a lot of maintenance and has been filled with grease before. Just watch out for any change in feel when driving over that period.

1980 Vermillion Sprint - 174bhp