The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Sprint Engine colours?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:56 pm 
Hello everyone and thanks for adding me.
I run a small classic car restoration service (I am not here to advertise!) and we are restoring just the engine and box from a 1980 Sprint. It is going to be to show standard (polished everything!) but....even though I did my apprenticeship with BL when they were first introduced, I have no idea what the correct engine colours were. Also....Does anyone know if the cam cover is painted or powder-coated.
I have had two Sprints in my time and all of a sudden I need another one!
The photos are just some components that have gone through "First polish".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:42 am 
TDC Member

All of the Sprint engines have their blocks painted black from the factory, gloss or satin is acceptable (it depends what paint was in stock at the time) I always go for gloss as it looks better in my opinion.

Heads are raw aluminum as are inlet manifolds, gearboxes and adapter plates.

All of the original cam covers that I have are powder coated satin on the outside only, this includes my NOS one. It looks like the cover has been coated then placed on a mill to have the lettering faced removing the coat and leaving silver lettering. My NOS one has machining marks from this.

The exception are replacement BL gold seal engines which were completely sprayed gold, I don't know the shade though. Mahesh's car has this.

Dashpots were never polished! :wink:

Dove grey matches the original air box colour.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:30 pm 
Thanks, James467
If it's metal and it comes into our shop....it gets polished!
The customer requested it and the Sprint is to be restored to a very high standard. It may not be a "Totally Original" restoration as it will have a few modifications but like me, he loves a sparkly engine bay.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:04 am 
TDC Member

Nothing wrong with a bit of bling!

If your client isn't already then I would highly recommend that they become a member of the club, this way they will benefit from exclusive club discounts and parts. For example, we are in the process of getting the Quarter light rubbers remanufactured for members.

Upgrades wise, there are plenty of subtle upgrades that can be done, solid carb mounts, club plug tubes, stainless sleeved master cylinders and I am trying to get more vernier pulleys made, as well as engine stand mounts etc... these are all available to members.

If you need anything, feel free to post on here, the collective knowledge of our members is second to none.