The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:21 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I've got a driver's side sun visor on the Sprint, one of the rarer all white (ish) ones, that's lost all its padding. I don't know what's happened, the passenger side one is fine. But the foam inside the driver's side has turned to what looks like dried-out compost. The vinyl and frame are both fine. Just it's floppy and was filled with dust.

So, I guess I could slit the cover, fill it with some foam-rubber cut to size, and hope to weld/glue the cover back together. But I'd like to see if there's an alternative. Has anybody any ideas for something I can inject into the cover, maybe with that between two boards to keep shape? I think it want's to be something not too heavy and not too firm.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)
B&Y 73 Dolomite Sprint UVB 274M (kids!)
1970 Maroon 13/60 Herald Convertable (wife's fun car).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:40 pm 
Quote:
I've got a driver's side sun visor on the Sprint, one of the rarer all white (ish) ones, that's lost all its padding. I don't know what's happened, the passenger side one is fine. But the foam inside the driver's side has turned to what looks like dried-out compost. The vinyl and frame are both fine. Just it's floppy and was filled with dust.

So, I guess I could slit the cover, fill it with some foam-rubber cut to size, and hope to weld/glue the cover back together. But I'd like to see if there's an alternative. Has anybody any ideas for something I can inject into the cover, maybe with that between two boards to keep shape? I think it want's to be something not too heavy and not too firm.

Graham
Not sure how effective those kits are. The only thing I can think of is find a local upholsterer (man in a shed type set up) and see if he can refurbish them. If you can I seriously look at getting the other visor done as that will likely to degrade at some point, but I suppose this depends on how much your budget will stretch to.

Sorry, can't think of any alternative.

Best wishes, Richard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:56 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
.........Has anybody any ideas for something I can inject into the cover, maybe with that between two boards to keep shape?......

Graham
The common 'builders' expanding foam may work?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 50ml/75470

.......but I wonder if there are different grades that might resist snapping, the fire grade stuff for instance? I guess the best thing to do would be to source a less valuable black and white visor and experiment on that first?

Keith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:42 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
.........Has anybody any ideas for something I can inject into the cover, maybe with that between two boards to keep shape?......

Graham
The common 'builders' expanding foam may work?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 50ml/75470

.......but I wonder if there are different grades that might resist snapping, the fire grade stuff for instance? I guess the best thing to do would be to source a less valuable black and white visor and experiment on that first?

Keith
Not sure expanding foam would be the right thing,to uncontrollable until set
may be try the green fibre board,you put under wood flooring for sound proofing,but wrap it in scrim foam first,then you should be able to refit/slide it inside the sun visor

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:34 pm 

I've been looking on eBay, and this looks a possibility: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medium-Soft- ... 1438.l2649 There's a vid on youtube showing it or something like being moulded.
Problem is, by the time I've bought this stuff and a gun to inject it and put together a frame with two boards to make it stay flat, it all seems a bit much.
Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)
B&Y 73 Dolomite Sprint UVB 274M (kids!)
1970 Maroon 13/60 Herald Convertable (wife's fun car).