The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Early 1850 advice
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:07 am 
Having owned several Dollies, including 2 Sprints, I will be looking for another very early 1850 (1972 or 73). The last Dolly was back in the early 1990s.

Any advice or pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Richard

Post subject: Re: Early 1850 advice
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:39 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Good choice. I love mine...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:35 am 

Having owned these cars before you will already know their strengths and weaknesses. The only thing that has probably changed since the 90's is part availability.

Some body panels are in short supply, especially front panels. If you see a car with rot in the front end, I would walk away, it won't be easy to find the panels to fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:39 am 
TDC Member

Indeed... good choice. Not that I'm biased or anything! ;-)
I'm not the most experienced with Dolomites, only had our 1850 Auto for a few years, but I'd say watch out for waterpump issues as the parts to repair properly are not cheap.
Then it's all the usual Dolomite rot-spots to watch out for.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:31 am 
Thank you for your replies. Yes, I'm well aware of engine issues. None of my Dollies (or the Stag), however, had any coolant issues. I put that down to good maintenance and using distilled water with good quality antifreeze. No professional or scientific proof that was reason but I didn't have a sniff of a problem in that area.

What do you guys think about sympathetic engine upgrades, such as waterless coolant, electronic ignition and distributor? Just to make the Dolly more user-friendly.

Thanks once again, Richard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:46 am 
TDC Member

I wouldn't bother with waterless coolant. My 1850 has an electric fan and electronic ignition (fitted by James when he recommissioned her https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... &start=450)
It's also running a "sprint spec" reconditioned rad supplied by a company Alun recommended. Since fitting that rad I've had no cooling issues at all.
Finally... brakes. Trackerjack conversion is an almost "must" in my opinion for daily driver safety.
I've been using Binny (AKA RUK) for 16 months as a daily driver since I gave up my company car and she's never let me down yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:02 pm 
Quote:
I wouldn't bother with waterless coolant. My 1850 has an electric fan and electronic ignition (fitted by James when he recommissioned her https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... &start=450)
It's also running a "sprint spec" reconditioned rad supplied by a company Alun recommended. Since fitting that rad I've had no cooling issues at all.
Finally... brakes. Trackerjack conversion is an almost "must" in my opinion for daily driver safety.
I've been using Binny (AKA RUK) for 16 months as a daily driver since I gave up my company car and she's never let me down yet.
Wow! Thank you. Because I've been out of the Dolomite loop for so long I've not heard of Trackerjack brakes before. Are they easily available or are they a bespoke make?

I've upgraded the brakes on my two Alfas to Brembos, standard sized discs and pads but they made a noticeable difference over the normal.

What's the problem with waterless coolant? It seems to tolerate much higher temperatures and it doesn't corrode the rad or water pump.

The Dolly won't be a daily driver but I suppose I'm looking for peace of mind (minimize the chances of it breaking down) when I take the family out at weekends.

Here's a picture of me and the Dolly in circa 1983

Attachments:
6003300077_52b907d149_n[1] (247x320).jpg
6003300077_52b907d149_n[1] (247x320).jpg [ 46.08 KiB | Viewed 915 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:12 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Wow! Thank you. Because I've been out of the Dolomite loop for so long I've not heard of Trackerjack brakes before. Are they easily available or are they a bespoke make?
A bit of both... off the shelf sierra calipers, "modern" vented discs drilled to fit the Triumph PCD, bespoke mounting brackets and hoses IIRC. There are plenty of people around (Steve 'Carledo' and of course Mr Trackerjack himself) who are better experts than I am on the details.
Quote:
What's the problem with waterless coolant? It seems to tolerate much higher temperatures and it doesn't corrode the rad or water pump.
No problem with it... but if the pump, rad and coolant system is well fettled it's just not needed imho. Oh another mod on my car is the Volvo header tank for the coolant system (it's on the thread I linked to)
I stuck a piece of card in front of my rad over winter, until I fitted the SAAB thermostat it was over-cooling in the cool weather. Even when I absolutely thrashed the car over the tops (moorland national limit roads) it never went above 1/2 on the gauge and in hot summer on the motorway it doesn't rise either.

Cheers,
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:11 pm 
Thanks Sam and the other guys. As you can probably gather this is going to be a pure passion buy; the fire was stoked about 2 years ago. I live close to Brooklands Museum and we often see great classic cars around our village, including this lovely Dolly Sprint which looks mint. It was then I thought "I need another Dolly in my life", but due to work, family approval blah blah blah... so after the lockdown has been lifted I'll be looking seriously... meantime I shall do some more reading and research.

I have a vision. I will budget for a colour change: Powder or baby blue will be my choice as IMHO suits the Dolly's lines well.

Will keep you guys updated.

Cheers, Richard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:17 pm 

Get in touch with James Shepard on here. Hes restoring an early 1850 that he will sell when its done, it will be a good one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:17 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Hi Richard, don't buy the first one you see unless it's mint with full history. Also don't be put off by an automatic...... They are great 8) Sam's is an auto as well and they really keep up with modern traffic.

Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:27 pm 
Quote:
Hi Richard, don't buy the first one you see unless it's mint with full history. Also don't be put off by an automatic...... They are great 8) Sam's is an auto as well and they really keep up with modern traffic.

Tony.
Thanks Tony. Automatic transmission doesn't phase me at all. If it's manual then an overdrive would be good but not essential.

The important part is that it's structurally and mechanically sound. I don't mind light restoration as I'm very handy when it comes to minor rust. The biggest challenge I can foresee at the moment is to source original parts -- like to keep it as original as its humanly possible. The only upgrades would be subtle ones as I mentioned earlier to give it driveability.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:34 pm 
TDC Member

An early 1850 is a good choice.

It should have Strombergs on, and if so I always used to carry a spare diaphragm. In the same department the air filters are getting scarce. The Strombergs are still around at about a tenner each but the S.U. airfilters nearly £25 …each !
Useful upgrades : I've got a Lumenition Optronic system. You need to dismantle the distributor to fit it, but its fit-and-forget. Quite expensive though.

I really like the 75W inner main beam headlights for my daily driver. Plus relays.

If you get the choice, try and get one with overdrive fitted.

I also have had EWC in for the past 4 years. One thing to note is that just doing the flush and refill it isn't going to run cooler because of the physics of the stuff.I'll run hotter. But I do like the no-pressurisation of the coolant and the non-corrosive properties it has. I reckon this is important if the head studs have to come out. EWC plus the flushing fluid is pricey, But I rarely have to top-up the coolant. Perhaps just once a year.

Was your 1850 in the photo painted in Ice Blue ?
That is quite an unusual colour.

Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:34 pm 
Quote:
Get in touch with James Shepard on here. Hes restoring an early 1850 that he will sell when its done, it will be a good one.
Thanks. Yes I will nearer the time, but I am a little hesitant to take the leap before the lockdown is lifted.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:40 pm 
Quote:
An early 1850 is a good choice.

It should have Strombergs on, and if so I always used to carry a spare diaphragm. In the same department the air filters are getting scarce. The Strombergs are still around at about a tenner each but the S.U. airfilters nearly £25 …each !
Useful upgrades : I've got a Lumenition Optronic system. You need to dismantle the distributor to fit it, but its fit-and-forget. Quite expensive though.

I really like the 75W inner main beam headlights for my daily driver. Plus relays.

If you get the choice, try and get one with overdrive fitted.

I also have had EWC in for the past 4 years. One thing to note is that just doing the flush and refill it isn't going to run cooler because of the physics of the stuff.I'll run hotter. But I do like the no-pressurisation of the coolant and the non-corrosive properties it has. I reckon this is important if the head studs have to come out. EWC plus the flushing fluid is pricey, But I rarely have to top-up the coolant. Perhaps just once a year.

Was your 1850 in the photo painted in Ice Blue ?
That is quite an unusual colour.

Tony.
Thank you for the advice. You guys are fantastic.

I don't really know what colour it was. I kept it about 18 months but never undertook any body repairs, only rear shocks I changed to Spax adjustable and engine fettling. It was faded in parts but in pretty good all-round condition. But that's the colour I want... or very similar.

I used to love serving the Strombergs, especially the diaphragm change. But I absolutely adore the dashboard dials of the early models.

Thanks.