The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:36 am 
TDC Member

Hello all,
I thought I’d share my review/experience of Rustbuster (RB) Epoxy 121 for painting the underside of my Dolly. When I was choosing which paint to I found it difficult to get real life user info, so I thought I’d share my experience.

Why did I choose 121? After looking at various magazine reviews and searching the net it came out with great reviews for longevity and general hardiness. It is expensive though by the time you factor in VAT and delivery it’s £46.14 for their 1.25l chassis starter pack.

I have used Por15 before and found it utter pants – within a year rust was breaking through even though I had been meticulous in cleaning and preparation. I’m not saying that I didn’t do something wrong but if a paint system is so sensitive to the application process it’s not for me.
I used it to paint the rear wheel wells on my Dolly – I took it all back to bare steel (no easy task in the confined space of the wheel well). I used a combo of a grinder with a poly disc/knot wheel a drill with the same and hand wire brush.
I then painted on the rustbuster rust converter and put three coats of 121.

Things I learnt!
It takes a bit of trial and error to judge how much paint you need. I found myself wasting quite a bit of each mix at the start.

This will sound odd given my first point, mix more than you need. In my learning to find how far a batch will go I cut back too much and ended up having to do a mix mid way through.
I think both wheel wells was about 150ml a coat.

Wear gloves! It’s a bit like Engineers blue – before you know it it’s everywhere and you’ve got a nice smudge on your forehead

I bought a 3M respirator, I brush painted mine which RB doesn’t specify a mask for in a well ventilated area. I personally think a mask is essential as the fumes are pretty powerful.

The paint is very thick and hard to get a 'clean' finish free of brush strokes.

I experimented with the final coat to get a 'shutz' type finish. I found a sponge and a dappling technique works well but the sponge does start to fall apart and leave bits behind so you need to carefully pick the bits out and change sponge regularly.
I also found that if you let the paint cure for 30 mins or so you could go back with a brush and stipple it with (probably) slightly better results.

I bought a pack of mixing cups and mixing sticks which made life a bit easier.

Syringes (I used old pet medicine ones) are good for sucking up smaller amounts of each of the 2 parts for smaller mixes.

You’ll need cellulose thinners for cleaning – I bought 500ml and I ran out. I’d recommend a least a litre. The epoxy is a pain to clean up.

I think the end results look good, I can’t comment for durability yet. Will post back in a year or so with feedback.
Hope this is helpful

Alex

Last edited by Aleco on Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:44 am 
TDC Member

Struggling with pics at the moment. Hopefully will post them up later today

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

See this guide for posting images, it's really easy now; https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... 19&t=32626

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:37 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
See this guide for posting images, it's really easy now; https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... 19&t=32626
Awesome! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:07 pm 
TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser

Hi Alex. A really interesting write up and review.

I've used it too recently on my project in the same area as you - underside and inner arches. I've also used it on some of the suspension components.

I agree -mixing is a bit of trial and error and i have wasted a fair bit during the time. Difficult to keep the pots clean too - right old mess!

Time will tell, but it does get good reviews. I did paint a few areas over bare metal, but found it did flake off (albeit with plenty of persuasion) so found a good prime beforehand gave it a bit more to adhere to.

I think I would use it again, although nice to find a product that is ready to go straight from the tin rather than the mixing.

It is surprising how many products there are on the market now for rust prevention and treatment. Hammerite was always my 'go to' back when I first started messing with old crocks.. and rusty railings that gave me heart failings... I'm sure it still has it's place but many great products are out there now.

I like the Bild Hamber products too - again, seem to be well regarded.

MC

TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser.
TDC/TSSC group meeting - 3rd Tuesday of the month

1980 1500HL - OPD
1976 Sprint - SWU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:19 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Matt,
Thanks for reading. You never really know if what you've detailed is useful or not.

In regards to hammerite, I used it last year on my gearbox mount and found it really poor. It took at least a week until is was set and even then I could push my nail into it. I couldn't recommended it at all perhaps it was better in past years?

With the Rustbuster epoxy it set very hard and I have given it some grief with a hammer as a test and it still looked good with no chipping. My hammer test piece wasn't on the car!

I've also heard good things of Bilt Hamber. What product did you use?

Alex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:37 am 
TDC Member

In recent times I've found hammerite very sensitive to air temperature and moisture. Seems to go off ok on room temp metal on a warm summers day, but in cooler/damper conditions not so much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:20 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

This is all very interesting and having used the product 4 years ago I remain very happy with the results. It will however chip off (like any paint) so I always try to avoid roads where surface dressing has been carried out but of course I would do this with any car to protect the paintwork. It is quite easy to touch up the chips and it is then when I find it is a little wasteful.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:11 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:

Wow! :shock: :shock:
You could eat your dinner off the underside of your car it's so clean!
One day I might get near that!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:41 pm 

Thanks,pleased you appreciate the work I've put in. I must add that I am retired and got most of my jobs around the home sorted during lockdown so what do I do but wash and polish under the car. The car has never been restored and the paintwork is 80% original so I left all the black running gear as it was when it left the factory and I just wipe it over with an oily rag