The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:38 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

It was obvious that the rubber bushes on the radius rod/drag link were falling apart so I decided ( wrongly as it turned out) that I would need the lower wishbone bushes too. When I got the wishbones ( that aren't actually wishbones more like track control arms perhaps) off I found that they had the rose joint type of bushes which were in reasonably good condition. One was just starting to rust enough to need some effort to free the through bolt but once it was out and lubricated it was quite serviceable. Noting the extensive discussion about this joint on this forum I decided it would be wrong to even try to get them out to be replaced by poly bushes. It was also very likely that they had been serviced before because, assuming the rounded half-height head of the through bolts was designed to prevent damage to the rack boots, said bolts had been reassembled the wrong way round.

The rose joints felt like they are an all metal design but can anyone tell me what the internal mechanism is please? After cleaning them with oil I gave them a generous spray with motorcycle chain grease, which is friendly to rubber seals, then refitted the arms with plenty of coppa slip on the bolt and the outside of the metal shields.
As usual plenty of snags came with the job, not least the awkward access to the P clip and nut on the end of the radius arm. Also a fight with the anti roll bar brackets and bushes. Probably easy enough on a ramp but more difficult working with axle stands and a jack.

If anyone wants a new set of SuperPro Poly bushes (SPF0868K) for the lower wishbone they are on Ebay at 1/3 of full price at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:24 pm 
TDC Member

The photo shows the difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:27 am 

Quote:

The photo shows the difference.
So its a ball joint then - thank you - much appreciated.