The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:30 pm 
TDC Member

I have obviously seen many of the posts on the forum's around electronic ignition. I have come across a company called Ignition car parts who are a UK based company and have, on their website, a unit that apparently is for the 44D4 distributor.

The Product Code is ICP-EK032. An extract from the description states "Comes With New Red Rotor Arm - For 44D4 Distributors Fits inside distributor to make electronic ignition".

Link is: https://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/Part ... 032&s_vid=

I was wandering if anyone has had any experience of this product and if so could share there experience. I have on my car the standard rear entry cap so would this part even fit with the standard original cap.. I have mailed the company for extra information today, but as yet have heard nothing back so thought i would post this to see if anyone has had any experiences with it.

Any help or views appreciated.

James

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:34 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

It would be interesting to know what the replacement rotor arm mentioned would be.

I know that the one for the 25D fits under the standard cap, and with points, it works at least as far as driving round the block. It also fits with at least one of the points replacement EI units. It seems to be a little short, as in the gaps to the plug lead connections are a bit bigger than the stock rotor arm gives. However, I couldn't feel any effect driving that short distance and at lowish speeds.

But there are suggestions the 25D's arm is too tall and will damage the cap in the long term. I haven't tried to measure how high it sits compared to the stock one. Might have a go, thinking about it.

But maybe this is something else again.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)
B&Y 73 Dolomite Sprint UVB 274M (kids!)
1970 Maroon 13/60 Herald Convertable (wife's fun car).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:53 pm 

I just measured. And the 25D arm I tried, so know works, sits about 1.4mm lower than my 44D spare (which is original, not grimmer copy).

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:52 pm 

That looks a lot like the Powerspark

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45D-43D-59D- ... 0508264952

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:10 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
That looks a lot like the Powerspark

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45D-43D-59D- ... 0508264952
Thanks both....Does the Powerspark fit under a 44D with a standard rotor arm do you know?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:56 pm 

Pretty sure it needs either the 25D arm with the 44D cap or the 45D arm and 45D4 side entry cap, cos the 44D arm will foul the sender unit that replaces the points.

Graham

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:12 pm 

These "red rotor" kits are all the same and are for half the price incl free shipping available on aliexpress.

One sticks a powerspark label on and the other his own label.

The complete dizzies are also a lot cheaper there.

Jeroen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:44 am 
TDC Member

Thanks all for the comments.

The company have 'kindly' responded to my questions and have replied as follows:

"The kit fits comfortably under the OE type caps as the module in this one is slightly smaller than the modules that fit most of the other Lucas distributors."

Just wanted to share and see what thoughts there are on this statement from the experts on the forum, so any views appreciated. I am seriously considering electronic ignition of some sort to save the faffing around with points, but would like a decent reasonably easy to maintain set up...

Any further comments appreciated...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:46 pm 

Quote:
Thanks all for the comments.

The company have 'kindly' responded to my questions and have replied as follows:

"The kit fits comfortably under the OE type caps as the module in this one is slightly smaller than the modules that fit most of the other Lucas distributors."

No expert, but the sensor shown looks like the one I had that didn't work, and wouldn't fit with the 44D4 rotor.

However, the rubber insert don't look like it fits the 44D4 or the 25D.

Is that the insert for a 45D?

Also, says it comes with a red rotor arm, which I think will be a 25D one, if it fits under the 44D cap.

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:51 pm 

Further, I think you want a picture of the actual item, which the one on the site doesn't look like it is. Or if it is, don't look like it fits.

Graham