The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:03 pm 
TDC Member

I have just fit one of these new poly engine mounts to my Sprint.
I decided to give one a go as I am sick of extremely poor quality of the aftermarket rubber ones,on average they are lasting 2 years-about 3000 miles,on the right hand side,before collapsing and dumping the oil pump onto the steering rack clamp.
So I bit the bullet,and payed the money.
Easiest mounting I have ever fitted to a Sprint-it just went on.No messing about trying to line holes up.
The bolt heads for the subframe did not foul on the poly,unlike the rubber ones,which you have to fight to get the bolts in.
The engine now sits much higher,and after a short test drive(about 20 miles),I can detect no extra noise or vibration coming through the body.
Seriously impressed,and to all those involved in the development of these mounts-you have done an excellant job.
Worth every penny.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:03 am 
TDC Member

That's good to hear, I've got them on mine but not tested.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:14 am 
TDC Member

I have also read a good report about the 1500 RWD mounts which is also applicable for the 1300 engine. I have obtained a set but have not yet fitted them on one of my 1500cc engines. Chris also has the softer mount which is used on the 1850.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:11 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

So far so good. Good to hear there isn't any extra noise or vibration. I avoid poly bushes because I fear that many are too firm and will transfer loads to other areas of the car and cause damage. It sounds like they have used the correct firmness of material in this case.

Of course the real test is how well they hold up after a few thousand miles have been put on them.

Anyway thanks for testing them and sharing your results.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:51 am 
TDC Member

In respect to the non Sprint mounts. I took a selection of original mounts down to Chris Witor and he measured their hardness before he went into production.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:15 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
So far so good. Good to hear there isn't any extra noise or vibration. I avoid poly bushes because I fear that many are too firm and will transfer loads to other areas of the car and cause damage. It sounds like they have used the correct firmness of material in this case.

Of course the real test is how well they hold up after a few thousand miles have been put on them.

I am the same as you,I normally avoid polybushes at all costs,but the pattern rubber mounts for the Sprint,are,quite frankly,ppoor.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:03 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:

I am the same as you,I normally avoid polybushes at all costs,but the pattern rubber mounts for the Sprint,are,quite frankly,ppoor.
So as not to confuse folk, when you say the "pattern rubber mounts for the Sprint,are,quite frankly,ppoor" - that doesn't apply to Chris Witor's new superflex mounts.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:37 am 
TDC Member

You are correct.Chris Witors are not rubber,,they are poly,and so far I would say very good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:50 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
You are correct.Chris Witors are not rubber,,they are poly,and so far I would say very good.
Superflex, that's not the same as poly, is it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:15 pm 
TDC Member

The SuperFlex logo states it is Polyurethane but I know that Chris measured the hardness of the original 1850 / 1500 / 1300 mounts so that he could produce the replacement SuperFlex mounts to match them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:21 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

SUPERFLEX is the trading name of the company and Chis Witor is the guy that sells it, POLY is the type of material used (polyurethane)
There are several other companies who make Poly bushes, not always of the same quality, you can buy the two part liquid and make your own if you want to make mounds and mounting plates as well.
As for the hardness of poly that is rated as 'shore' the higher the number the harder the material, the colour of a poly bush as no relation to its shore rating as its just dye added to the clear mix but some companies will use a certain colour for each hardness.

Post subject: Aye..
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:36 pm 
TDC Member

Just to confuse matters, as if it wasn't bad enough....
Quote:
There is a polyurethane bush manufacturer in North wales whose trading name is Polybush!

Ian.

As an aside...
I rather suspect that you Murdo, like me, wouldn't ever buy anything from them for the same reason?

Post subject: Re: Aye..
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:16 am 

Quote:
Just to confuse matters, as if it wasn't bad enough....
Quote:
There is a polyurethane bush manufacturer in North wales whose trading name is Polybush!

Ian.

As an aside...
I rather suspect that you Murdo, like me, wouldn't ever buy anything from them for the same reason?
I've come across 'Polybush' before, has their quality got any better in the last 10 years?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:18 pm 
TDC Member

Just ordered these engine mounts,any one know weather the bolt studs are imperial or metric ?

thanks Dave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:43 pm 
TDC Member

The 1300,1500 & 1850 type are imperial as I was able to reuse the nuts that I took off.