The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Noisy distributor?!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:24 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Thanks for the knowledge Graham and Jeroen. I love this forum, I learn so much here.

One of the reasons I am sending my dizzy into the distributor doctors service is that each dizzy is tuned to match the original advance curve. I am confident it will come back correct. So, When I have it back I will lift the bottom plate and have a look to see if the springs are any different in size or fit than they are now.

Murdo

I buy up the new old stock red box Lucas, or Unipart points and condensers when I find them. I’ve got good stock of both now. I am hearing that the points and condensers supplied by the distributor doctor are of good quality too. I’m not a massive stickler for originality but I don’t want to go down the electronic ignition route. I like to tinker, and points are another thing to periodically tinker with. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:19 pm 
TDC Member

Bish,

I went to the Distributor Doctor for a replacement distributor for my Sprint back in January. Only took a week and it was literally as new. Came with calibration check chart showing mechanical advance across the rev range (looks very similar to the one posted earlier). I only investigated my old distributor because I could not get a smooth idle and the timing was jumping all over the place at idle and there was a lot of timing scatter through out the rev range. Now it is as steady as a rock ! He is not cheap but the quality is good and the service is excellent - good move in my opinion.

Roger

Too many cars, too little time!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:03 pm 

Quote:
Bish,

I went to the Distributor Doctor for a replacement distributor for my Sprint back in January. Only took a week and it was literally as new. Came with calibration check chart showing mechanical advance across the rev range (looks very similar to the one posted earlier). I only investigated my old distributor because I could not get a smooth idle and the timing was jumping all over the place at idle and there was a lot of timing scatter through out the rev range. Now it is as steady as a rock ! He is not cheap but the quality is good and the service is excellent - good move in my opinion.

Roger
Nice one Roger. :thumbsup: Glad to hear your happy.

I’ve heard of a fair few experiences similar to yours now. I’m sure it’s a good move too. Lucky you to get a weeks turn around, four weeks without a drive in the Sprint is a bit strong!

I was just getting to know the car too! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:40 am 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

If you have a dwell meter Bish? Use that to set your points when you get your dizzy back, as the gap is only a guide and will affect your timing as well. Or if it's coming back with points fitted ask if they have been set with that method :D

Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:06 pm 

Quote:
If you have a dwell meter Bish? Use that to set your points when you get your dizzy back, as the gap is only a guide and will affect your timing as well. Or if it's coming back with points fitted ask if they have been set with that method :D

Tony.
No I don’t have a dwell meter Tony, just a cheapo accuspark strobe, and feelers for the points gap. Does the job in a fashion. I have always thought that dwell meters are an expensive bit of kit that isnt entirely necessary? I think some of the better quality multimeters have a dwell function too?
I will ask if the points will be set up with a dwell meter, but you would think they would be if it’s professionally set up?!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:57 pm 

Yes not really needed Bish, but it just gets things spot on so to speak. I have had mine many years and just something i have always done as i don't like electronic ignition :roll: Just me :lol: Out of the ark 8) 8) To be honest Bosch points were the ones that really needed it.

Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:23 pm 

Quote:
Yes not really needed Bish, but it just gets things spot on so to speak. I have had mine many years and just something i have always done as i don't like electronic ignition :roll: Just me :lol: Out of the ark 8) 8) To be honest Bosch points were the ones that really needed it.

Tony.
I’m an analogue kind of bloke too Tony. I enjoy the faff of tinkering with old things. There’s something good about old methods and their imperfections to me. The digital age of perfection is too sterile.

But if the fate of the human race were left to me, we probably wouldn’t have even invented the wheel by now!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:12 am 

Quote:
Quote:

Tony.
I’m an analogue kind of bloke too Tony. I enjoy the faff of tinkering with old things. There’s something good about old methods and their imperfections to me. The digital age of perfection is too sterile.

But if the fate of the human race were left to me, we probably wouldn’t have even invented the wheel by now!! :lol:
We could be twins Bish..... :shock:

Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:36 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tony.

Tony.
Kindred spirits Tony.

I guess we all are on this forum. Whether you have a perchant for originality, modification, or a bit of both. We are all here because of the love of an old car that’s 40 + years old.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:57 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tony.
Kindred spirits Tony.

I guess we all are on this forum. Whether you have a perchant for originality, modification, or a bit of both. We are all here because of the love of an old car that’s 40 + years old.
Absolutely Bish, and the social element of these forums adds a lot to the whole scene.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:11 pm 

Now it’s hands up time here.

Graham’s comments about the springs got me thinking more about the dizzy. Am I over reacting here? Can the dizzy really be that bad considering how well the car drives? Is what I see as loose springs just how they are?

So this afternoon, after I’d fixed the daily hack, I decided to give the dizzy another go. I cleaned it up and gave it some lubrication, fitted NOS proper Lucas points and condenser, then popped it back in.

After a quick timing session with the strobe it seemed to work well, no apparent noise, no scatter on the timing light through the rev range - the light was as steady as it gets sitting at 11 degrees ish and advancing steadily with the revs. So, off for a road test and the car pulls clean, no pinking, no hesitation. I hit the dual carriageway and got VYK up to a happy 80, only to be overtaken by a series one E Type Jag fixed head, in black! The driver gave me a friendly toot toot and a wave as he cruised effortlessly past. Reminded me how good the arse end of a series one E Type looks, and made my day!

I guess I’m getting a bit paranoid about engine bay noses, and convinced myself that the dizzy was the culprit! I’m sure the dizzy is not in perfect condition but I’m sure it doesn’t warrant a rebuild just yet. I’ll save my money and investigate the tappets and timing chain. More paranoia!? I’ll be back soon with more questions about noises no doubt............. :roll:

I’m going up to meet Tony (mig welder) tomorrow. If the sprint and I make it there in one piece maybe he can lend his more experienced ear to my engine bay noises and offer some guidance.

Only, he doesn’t know that yet. Lucky him! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:14 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tony.
Kindred spirits Tony.

Absolutely Bish, and the social element of these forums adds a lot to the whole scene.
Let’s hope we get some social back sometime soon !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:45 am 

Quote:
Graham’s comments about the springs got me thinking...
There's no higher accolade I can think of.

Well, except, perhaps, helping to save someone some money.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)
B&Y 73 Dolomite Sprint UVB 274M (kids!)
1970 Maroon 13/60 Herald Convertable (wife's fun car).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:01 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:

I’m going up to meet Tony (mig welder) tomorrow. If the sprint and I make it there in one piece maybe he can lend his more experienced ear to my engine bay noises and offer some guidance.

Ah Haaa ! Sussed !

But yes it was great meeting up just now.
The Sprint looks fantastic ; just like melted Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate, I remember someone said. ( Other equally good chocolate snacks are available ) .
Hope you had a good trip back.

Cheers for now,
Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:42 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Ah Haaa ! Sussed !

But yes it was great meeting up just now.
The Sprint looks fantastic ; just like melted Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate, I remember someone said. ( Other equally good chocolate snacks are available ) .
Hope you had a good trip back.

Cheers for now,
Tony.
The pleasure was all mine. I had great fun in the sun on the 160 mile round trip, and VYK didn’t miss a beat. The M25 was a breeze too, 70 mph + all the way back. Must have been my day. :D