The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:26 pm 
I know this is a much travelled subject but also quite a complex one - at least to me. I have had some steering issues and had three alignments done over the months (with a tweak here and there). I have provided below my figures and how it feels to me driving. Ideally I am looking for a steer ( :wink: ) on what to do!

1) June: Uneven Negative Camber: Feels like Pointy steering but vague around the centre

Camber -0.49’ -2.03’
Caster Not measured Not measured
Toe +0.02’ +0.05’

2) After playing with suspension height (raising it from lowered)
August: Uneven Negative Camber: Feels like Pointy steering but very vague around the centre. This is horrible

Camber -0.54’ -1.29’
Caster +0.59’ +0.02’
Toe -0.13’ -0.15’

3) After adding shims for camber
October (today): Neutral Camber: Feels like very dull, not at all pointy but much less vague at centre

Camber +0.22’ +0.15’
Caster +1.31’ +0.24’
Toe +0.10’ +0.09’

I am looking for pointy (for road rally tests) but without the disturbing vagueness at centre (by which I mean a fair bit of play around the centre before any action)

I am confident that there is no play in the UJs (I have upper and lower UJs). Ball joints and tie rod ends recently replaced. Poly bushes all around including steering rack mounts. I can see that I might need the sprint speed adjustable tie rods for the castor but feel that maybe I can reach a desired compromise in the meantime.

I would welcome some advice on which direction to go! arf arf

Quentin