The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:52 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
On the Dolomega, I'm going to cover the holes in the heater plenum with "grille mesh" that lets air in but stops leaves etc getting in.

Just have to work out a way of getting the mesh panels to stay in place but still be easy to remove in case of need. I always remember that the poor b**ger that has to work on it next will probably be ME!

Steve
Steve, I'm ahead of you there - see photo. I used stainless mesh in three pieces. They are cut to just fit between the rubbers and have the ends folded so that they locate on the body. When the bonnet is shut the only visible gaps are where the washer jets sit. They stay in place but can be easily lifted off if I need to.

Mike

Attachments:
Mesh.JPG
Mesh.JPG [ 96.56 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:30 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Quote:
On the Dolomega, I'm going to cover the holes in the heater plenum with "grille mesh" that lets air in but stops leaves etc getting in.

Just have to work out a way of getting the mesh panels to stay in place but still be easy to remove in case of need. I always remember that the poor b**ger that has to work on it next will probably be ME!

Steve
Steve, I'm ahead of you there - see photo. I used stainless mesh in three pieces. They are cut to just fit between the rubbers and have the ends folded so that they locate on the body. When the bonnet is shut the only visible gaps are where the washer jets sit. They stay in place but can be easily lifted off if I need to.

Mike
This is very similar to what has been done to my old one but using sheet aluminium. It has been done in two parts leaving the gap in the center for the latch. Slots have been cut as in your pic for the washer jets and extra slots and holes for the passenger side to allow air in for the heater. BUMPA the heater works ok. I asked about the restrictions on the heating and demisting expecting it to be reduced too much to be effective and I was told that it all works fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:14 pm 

Wouldn't it be easier to attach mesh to the bottom of the slots in the bonnet?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:22 pm 

I find that the water I get in the driver's footwell (I've got the passenger side fixed) varies independent of how much it rains. I think it depends on how windy it is and which way it blows. Currently, in fairly still conditions, but raining quite a bit, the floor is bone dry. A couple of weeks ago, it was 1/4 inch deep for less rain and more wind.

I also had a problem a while back when driving into heavy rain, in that it came in the top of the windshield, with some dripping off the mirror and some running down the inside of the screen. I've had a go with some sealant, between rubber and glass and vinyl, and haven't seen that again, but I don't know if it's fixed or not.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)
B&Y 73 Dolomite Sprint UVB 274M (kids!)
1970 Maroon 13/60 Herald Convertable (wife's fun car).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:36 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Quote:
Thats what i have done.

Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:57 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Neat. Never thought of that.