The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:57 pm 
TDC Member

Barry

Thanks for the photos,it looks like your mg calipers the handbrake leavers is a bit different to my rover 45s

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:16 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
I was gonna say much the same thing, but Dave beat me to it above^^^^

I would think you need a TJ kit up front (if you don't have one already) either that or some sort of pressure limiter for those rear calipers, otherwise your front/rear bias will be all to cock!

I ran an unlimited Sprint rear setup on the Carledo briefly, it's propensity to change ends under heavy braking was disturbing, to put it mildly! A Cavalier pressure limiting valve fixed that until I could afford the TJs.

Steve
Significantly changing the front/rear brake balance, could result in longer stopping distances as well as introducing strange and/or dangerous steering characteristics under braking!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=308177758

Upgraded 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (Toledo / Dolomite HL / Sprint hybrid)

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:12 am 

End of season update

Hi All

It has now been 4 months and 980 miles with my rear brake conversion, and I have to say I am very good! :mrgreen:

Driving to shows, the odd day trip to the office and general tom foolery has taught me a few things.

1st - I got used to the longer pedal and I enjoy the progressiveness of it.

2nd - Even in the rain, going too fast into a round about and emergency braking it felt very good and did not try to swap ends and send me into a Renault Clio that made me test my brakes to the full.

3rd - The handbrake is better now with new cables but not perfect and could do with a bit more work / Adjustment

4th - I need to do a track day to properly test them, but I think the lack of power would be the worst!

In the end I am glad I did it and it was a fun project that has worked out very well, although now I have bough a BMW E36 engine with 70% more power I might try and fit it to give it more of a test!

Regards

Barry

1975 Triumph 1500 TC various shades of blue