The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:43 am 
TDC Member

Hi All,

Does anybody know of a source for the green bulb filter within the Smiths dashboard guages, specifically the voltmeter and tachometer. I have hunted but I just can't find them as a separate part.

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:14 am 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Hi Ian, you can get led bulbs with the green filter and they look very smart.

Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:27 am 
TDC Member

Thanks Tony, my natural instinct is to keep it original as much as I can, but if I can't source the green filters then green LEDs are probably the best answer. I guess LEDs draw less current and last longer too.

Ian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:39 am 

Quote:
Thanks Tony, my natural instinct is to keep it original as much as I can, but if I can't source the green filters then green LEDs are probably the best answer. I guess LEDs draw less current and last longer too.

Ian
I agree with keeping it original Ian, but if you drive a fair amount at night? You will be amazed at the difference, and just keep the old bulbs to put it back to standard as no other mods are needed.

Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:12 am 
TDC Member

you've sold it to me Tony!

I will order some from https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/, they seem to have everything I would need to cover dash bulb wise

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:40 am 

Quote:
you've sold it to me Tony!

I will order some from https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/, they seem to have everything I would need to cover dash bulb wise
They are who i would recommend Ian :thumbsup: Let us all know what you think :D

Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:46 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Good morning, I colour clear bulbs with a green Sharpie pen. You need to go over them a few times to get the depth of colour but they look great once done.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:43 pm 
TDC Member

Cheers for the 'felt' tip TFN !

I've ordered the LEDs already but will hold that method in reserve

Ian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:22 pm 

Always good to have a plan 'B'! Please post a picture when you've fitted them, it'd be good to know how they compare to the originals. The volts gauge in the picture below is the bulb I coloured green - The others are original. Not perfect but near as it needs to be!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:20 pm 
TDC Member

Just fitted a set of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-E10-Min ... 2749.l2649 in the dash.

This pic shows a bit of a mixture: The speedo still has the green filter intact, but the volt meter and temperature gauge haven't. All three have these green LEDs in. The clock still has it's green filter and is fitted with a white LED. It was brighter than the speedo when that had a white LED, but not so noticeably a different colour. But its a different bulb type of course, and it's brighter than I really want.

The dash lights don't look quite so blue in the flesh. But they still look bluer than the clock.

So I think I shall look for a green LED to go in the clock to see if that then matches the rest of the dash better.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)
B&Y 73 Dolomite Sprint UVB 274M (kids!)
1970 Maroon 13/60 Herald Convertable (wife's fun car).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:14 pm 
TDC Member

Fitted the LED replacement bulbs yesterday, here's a pic as promised.

The image makes them look brighter than they actually are, but they are definitely a big improvement on the stock set up.

Thanks all for the advice.

Ian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:29 pm 
TDC Member

I got the green LED for the clock and swapped that for the white one that was a bit bright, but it's worse if anything. Both are the wide angle COB type LEDs. But I've ordered a couple of white through hole LED type bulbs to try and fix the rear demister switch light. They tend to be more directional, like the middle bulb in the boot light thread. So, maybe they'll appear less bright than the COB type.

Failing that, I suppose I'll have to drop the supply current to the LED with an additional series resistor. I thought about a different colour LED to be dimmed by the green filter in the clock, but I don't see that will work, as they tend to be a bit narrow band. S'pose a yellow LED, which has a red and a green LED in parallel, might be dimmer in the green alone.

It's a good job I've modified a spare glovebox inner to come out with the glovebox door and stay in place. Getting at the clock would be a right pain else.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:50 pm 
TDC Member

Here's a pic showing the over bright clock - taken with the 2/3" CCD X-S1 this time, not the phone camera.

Graham